Who was just asking about global warming?

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

swp

Re: Who was just asking about global warming?

Postby swp » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:22 pm

FrankChurch wrote:http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2008060759_nukes19.html

http://www.energy-daily.com/reports/Fre ... k_999.html

interesting. ~21 months ago, early July 2008, something bad happened in France with a nuclear plant, and yet I have still not heard about the 40,000 dead and millions (and millions!) of others who got sick from it.

24 years ago, when the only level 7 nuclear event occured in Chernobyl, 56 people died. How many since then, because of the fallout and other side effects? 4,000? (The reactor at Chernobyl was not contained by any kind of hard containment vessel ~ unlike all Western plants.) And not all of the deaths during that incident were necessary: Aleksandr Grigoryevich Lelechenko was a hero who went back into the radioactive zone 3 times so his comrades wouldn't have to. He could have just run. Vladimir Pavlovych Pravik is another. There are more. Look'em up.

The numbers and facts for the 1979 incident at Three Mile Island are far lower. It was a "level 5 event." 1 or 2 "additional deaths" from cancer in the 10-mile radius around reactor #2 over what would normally be expected in the area. The U.S. Army War College in nearby, in Carlisle, PA. No ill effects from anyone there either. I know from first-hand experience. I lived there in 1980.

So your claim of "not safe" just doesn't hold up to actual facts Frank. and I agree with the others, this should be in a different thread.
swp

FrankChurch

Re: Who was just asking about global warming?

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:31 pm

Their government is very secretive or so I've heard. America has the most freedom, I keep telling you unpatriotic mooks that..lol

Return to “General”