Sarah Palin discussion

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Barney Dannelke

Re: Sarah Palin discussion

Postby Barney Dannelke » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:06 pm

I'm pretty sure Maureen Dowd would LOVE for her to run.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/08/opini ... ml?_r=1&em

I keep explaining what impacted me, but everyone seems more confused and ironic than ever. What is it about average, hard-working Americans like me that Americans can’t understand?
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:18 pm

Obama won, something made partially possible by Palin's gaffes.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

Duane

Postby Duane » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm sure some of you have seen this Vanity Fair article on Palin, but I'll put it out there just in case. I'm not frightened of a possible Palin run, just deeply concerned. And by the way, I don't think we're going to have to worry too much about it.

A pullquote addressing her VP selection:

"...there is ultimately no way to read McCain’s selection of Palin as reflecting anything other than an appalling egotism, heedlessness, and lack of judgment in a man whose courage, tenacity, and character they have extravagantly admired—and as reflecting, too, an unsettling willingness on their own part to aid and abet him. They all know that if their candidate—a 72-year-old cancer survivor—had won the presidency, the vice-presidency would be in the hands of a woman who lacked the knowledge, the preparation, the aptitude, and the temperament for the job. To ask why none of them dared to just walk away is to ask why Colin Powell did not resign in protest over the Bush administration’s foreign policy, or why none of Bill Clinton’s disillusioned aides resigned after he lied to them about Monica Lewinsky."

I grew up with McCain (well, not literally). He spoke at my grade school and high school, and I was sure he'd have made a great POTUS. At least, he would have had a shot at it in 2000.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:13 am

Duane,

That's my concern here, though. Palin is very popular with Republicans. For the life of me I can't figure out why. She's shown the same verbal ineptitude as Bush, and virtually no ability to lead other than being a very good public speaker -- provided no questions are asked.

I do not understand the continuing fascination with lightweights as leaders, and the rejection of engaged intellectualism as a positive trait.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:59 am

No, Obama won because he had better PR. He won Adweek's award for the best ad campaign of that year. May have been Advertising Age..lol

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:26 pm

Barber wrote:Duane,

That's my concern here, though. Palin is very popular with Republicans. For the life of me I can't figure out why. She's shown the same verbal ineptitude as Bush, and virtually no ability to lead other than being a very good public speaker -- provided no questions are asked.

I do not understand the continuing fascination with lightweights as leaders, and the rejection of engaged intellectualism as a positive trait.
Only six percent of all scientists identify themselves with the Republican Party, for obvious reasons. Http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/1 ... 29382.html
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:53 am

Speaking of right wing extremist basket case nut-jobs...

They're baa-aaack!
http://www.idahomilitia1.com/

And one applicants insincere response...
http://patriotboy.blogspot.com/2009/05/ ... litia.html

and then the crazy just spirals...
http://patriotboy.blogspot.com/2009/05/ ... to-my.html
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

Gwyneth M905

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:04 pm

Thanks for the links, Barney. :) It's precisely the disenfranchised nonurban...well, ok I'll say it...white voter to whom Palin represents a voice of "return to Ammurikan values". I titled this post after a Coen brothers' movie, which referenced a Preston Sturges movie, "Sullivan's Travels", about a pampered Hollywood director who decides to live life "as the common man" during the Depression so he can make a movie about the oppressed: "O Brother, Where Art Thou?". (Joel McCrea, who plays Sullivan, just happens to bump into Veronica Lake along the way, and the two of them make for some great screen chemistry. But I digress.)

This op-ed article from the NYT states most cogently what I've felt all along about Palin, and why she's so scary.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/12/opinion/12rich.html

For some reason, this pampered woman taps into a vein of the Ammurikan psyche that other Republicans just cannot. I mentioned in a previous post how a friend of mine, an otherwise liberal woman, actually voted the McCain/Palin ticket because she thought that Palin's success as a (and hold your fire here until I can duck back down) MOTHER and WIFE showed that she was a capable candidate.

Hey, I'm CERTAINLY not good Mother and Wife material, so I can't comment on either (my friend 's been married for 26 years) but I don't know that those credentials translate well into running the world's superpower. I think there's a strong racist/classist vein here: Bad Black People!!! ooooh.... New England Liberals!!!!! aaaahh... Send them all to their rooms for a Time Out--lock the door and start pumping in that Zyklon B. That'll teach them to get uppity! :shock:
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Gwyneth M905

Ok, I MUST post this under Right Wing Nut Jobs

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:21 pm

Take a deep breath. Do not take any sips of liquid before clicking on this link, unless your computer keyboard needs a bath...

http://ugliesttattoos.com/2009/06/18/fu ... rade-ever/

There now, there now, it's ok, I'm starting a recovery group for those whose eyeballs have been scorched by this guy's ass.
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Touchy feely nazis? Ug.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:52 am

Never seen a tattoo that couldn't be removed by a spray of buckshot. Thank god for the second amendment huh?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:58 am

At least nazis will tell you they are nazis. Republicans keep telling us that they are conservative. Everybody buys it. Not this boy.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:16 pm

>> Thank god for the second amendment huh? <<

UNTIL OBAMA REPEALS IT!!!!! :D

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:23 pm

Watch it, punk.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:12 pm

Frank, the funny part is that most Republicans do not say they are Republicans. As a rule, especially now that it is not in fashion to be a Repub, most of them will say they are "Libertarians". I prefer to call them cowards myself, but a rose by any other name.....

As to Palin's appeal, Gwynnie I hate to say it but her looks happen to be at the root of it. Men do find her very attractive and I have seen a number of reporters who say that women comment on her appearance as well (especially her cheekbones for some reason). If she looked like Phyllis Schlafly she would never have gotten into any kind of office. I look at her and I see an emil universe counterpart to Jeff Bridges character in Broadcast News

However, she has as much chance of being elected to any type of nationwide (or statewide for that matter) office as I do of being elected local Grand Wizard of the Klan. Outside of a certain small subsection of the population, this woman is HATED, she is no threat for public office, the best she can hope for is a spot on Fox News
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Return to “General”