Sarah Palin discussion

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:04 am

cynic wrote:
David Loftus wrote:Someday I should post the historical story I researched about a couple of rival newspaper publishers who had a fatal gunfight on the streets of Roseburg, Oregon in 1872.

DAVID,
PLEASE MAN, YOU'RE KILLIN' ME HERE.HELP ME OUT.

If you want to read that story, have a little patience, me lad. Despite having spent the better part of the evening at my playreading group last night, playing Oscar Wilde in David Hare's marvelous play "The Judas Kiss," I still managed to type up the story. This morning I scanned the photos. Should probably check with the museum about permission to post the latter on the Web, but I might be able to get the whole shebang uploaded this evening.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:00 pm

cynic wrote:i like sara,and soup ,and pie.

Don't forget hot dogs. Gotta love hot dogs.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:45 pm

The gunfight story is on my Web site:

http://www.david-loftus.com/Features/gunfight.html

I also added photos of Jeff Daniels and Hoyt Axton to my interviews with them.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:50 am

What a great tale! Oddly enough, my hometown newspaper is called the Hawk-Eye. Although I don't think we ever had any dueling editors. Rumors abounded of drunkards, but never of gunslingers.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:40 am

Today we call them hunters.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:41 am

Here's an honest name for a hometown paper: The Daily Bullshit.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:39 am

In case you hadn't noticed, I also uploaded my story about a pioneering woman doctor in the wilds of frontier Oregon, as well:

http://www.david-loftus.com/Features/bethenia.html

I'm really jazzed now. I want to hunt up my series on abortion and put that back online, together with the never-before-told story behind that awful experience -- it ran two months AFTER I left the paper, and more than six or eight months after I'd written it.

And I need to find the photo of Kesey that ran with my interview of him. . . .

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:07 am

Have you actually seen an abortion?

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:46 pm

Got the Kesey photos up.

Also added several stories I wrote in connection with the filming of the Jeff Daniels movie "The Grand Tour," which went straight to video as "Disaster in Time" or "Timescape." Some of you might be curious about this since the writer-director, David Twohy, wrote the scripts for "The Fugitive," "Terminal Velocity" and "Waterworld," and wrote and directed "The Arrival" and "The Chronicles of Riddick." This particular project was based on a Kuttner-Moore short story.

My stories are about what it's like to be a film extra:

http://www.david-loftus.com/Features/extras.html

and a description of many of those people you see in the film credits list:

http://www.david-loftus.com/Features/credits.html

Barney Dannelke

Re: Sarah Palin discussion

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:41 am

I heard about the Palin thing on the news last night as I was dozing off. She has always struck me as more than a little shrill and a bit insane and the speech she gave yesterday came across (to me) as all of that on steroids. And the speech itself was terrible, no matter her intent. Her rationalizations were vague and unconvincing and the whole thing seemed like it was written on the back of a bar napkin while crashing from one anti-depressant or another.

Incorrect attribution of MacArthur is inexcusable in a high profile political speech - and, as of yesterday, she was still sadly high profile. But that is diminished entirely by this gem...

"... the world needs more "Trigs", not fewer."

Please explain to me how the world needs MORE special needs children. Please explain to me the UPside there.

[I wrote this for a letter, saw Steve beat me to this last night and decided to leave it.]

I think she is stepping off the political stage for good. But if she wants to run for Prez in 2012 that's fine by me. She won't have a clear field and every white male Republican with one ounce of political ambition will use her as a pinata. Fine by me.

Should America lose it's collective mind and NOMINATE her in 2012 Obama and Biden and the Clintons will vaporize her in the largest blowout 2nd term re-election in the history of American politics.

But really, America despises quitters and that's the end of her.

It only remains to be seen if there is a family scandal brewing or if being the mother of a special needs child and a part-time Governor was too great a workload. Like Michael Jackson, just another celebrity whose fate really never meant much to me.

- Barney
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:38 am

Better speculations than most I have seen;

Geoffrey Dunn on the Palin resignation
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/geoffrey- ... 25636.html

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:43 am

Maureen Dowd on the Palin meltdown.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/opini ... &th&emc=th

“Several told me, independently of one another,” Purdum writes, “that they had consulted the definition of ‘narcissistic personality disorder’ in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders — ‘a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy’ — and thought it fit her perfectly.”

Coil 2.0

Postby Coil 2.0 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:09 pm

I try to stay out of Sarah Palin discussions,...

but she just keeps draggin' me back in!

Sarah the Quitter.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:15 pm

"Caribou Barbie is one nutty puppy."

This made me snort peppermint tea out of my nose. Barney, thank you for the super links to articles about the Palin debacle. :D

I wonder why more people don't see through her. I have a good friend, whom I respect in many ways, who likes her because "she has kept her marriage together."

Hmmm.
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:26 am

My feeling is that she is going to become a commentator for Fox News or other media outlet, or she will become some sort of "Ambassador at Large" in the way that John Edwards became prior to his private parts getting in the way. The Republican machine is too smart to allow her to take a position that will embarrass them further, so they'll keep her in front of the base but without the risk of interviewing or debating far superior politicians as part of the job.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “General”