Sarah Palin discussion

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:19 pm

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence.

(can't remember who said it, sorry!)
"And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody..." - Robbie Seay Band, "New Day"

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:51 pm

Peggy wrote:Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence.

Dick Cheney excepted.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

cynic

Postby cynic » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:56 pm

Peggy wrote:Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence.

(can't remember who said it, sorry!)

Observations on the sway of human error over malice occur in various works. Goethe's The Sorrows of Young Werther (1774) mentions "...misunderstandings and neglect create more confusion in this world than trickery and malice

all from the wicked wiki,murphy's laws...rule? :shock:

from heinlien:(that goofy libertarian)A similar quotation appears in Robert A. Heinlein's 1941 short story "Logic of Empire" ("You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Randi Rhodes had a clip of Ms Palin's appearance on Larry King last evening in which she notched 5 "also's" in 24 seconds.

Another clip hit to the heart fo what I object to about Ms. Palin's attitude. She is either being deliberately sarcastic under a sugary sweet "gosh-golly" exterior, or just doesn't hear her own comments.

In particular, she was asked about the interview with Katie Couric. Palin responded that she wasn't going to get into a shouting match about Couric's skills, but that she -- Palin -- wanted to reach out to journalists and "help" them "get back to" that era in which journalism was "a fair and balanced" trade.

She literally suggested she could help them do their jobs more effectively and correctly and that she would be happy to work with them to do just that -- which is as astoundingly presumptuous as a journalist telling Ms. Palin that he/she would be happy to help Ms. Palin better understand how to govern the state of Alaska. Or a Senator telling the President that he/she would be happy to help the President better do their job of running the country.

I would love to share a beer with her, but...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:52 pm

Folks as much as she offends our sensibilities I assure you Sarah is good! We must hope and...uh...pray that the Repubs are truly stupid enough to hitch their wagon to that star. Yippe Yie Yo kayaye right into the toilet!

Go Sarah Go!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:42 pm

Barber wrote:In particular, she was asked about the interview with Katie Couric. Palin responded that she wasn't going to get into a shouting match about Couric's skills, but that she -- Palin -- wanted to reach out to journalists and "help" them "get back to" that era in which journalism was "a fair and balanced" trade.

And when would that have been?

Like the "traditional family" trumpeted by her ilk, "fair and balanced" media were a rare and sometime thing. It was entirely expected, back in the 19th century, for example, that newspapers were openly and honestly biased.

Someday I should post the historical story I researched about a couple of rival newspaper publishers who had a fatal gunfight on the streets of Roseburg, Oregon in 1872.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

cynic

Postby cynic » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:11 pm

David Loftus wrote:Someday I should post the historical story I researched about a couple of rival newspaper publishers who had a fatal gunfight on the streets of Roseburg, Oregon in 1872.

wow ,sounds as though they were serious about their point of view.
david ,thanks for the lead,that seams worthy of research.
mike

cynic

Postby cynic » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:41 pm

seems(not seams)i need another clue

Tom C

Postby Tom C » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:52 pm

I guess this is good enough a place to post, did anyone
catch the PBS Frontline piece on that snake Lee Atwater?

I wouldn't wish a serious illness on anyone but "what goes around,
comes around."

For Lee and gang:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoeaN4MheBU

cynic

Postby cynic » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:53 pm

Tom C wrote: I wouldn't wish a serious illness on anyone but "what goes around,
comes around."

yes,it certainly does.he's dead.

wicked wiki

In a February 1991 article for Life Magazine, Atwater wrote:

My illness helped me to see that what was missing in society is what was missing in me: a little heart, a lot of brotherhood. The '80s were about acquiring — acquiring wealth, power, prestige. I know. I acquired more wealth, power, and prestige than most. But you can acquire all you want and still feel empty. What power wouldn't I trade for a little more time with my family? What price wouldn't I pay for an evening with friends? It took a deadly illness to put me eye to eye with that truth, but it is a truth that the country, caught up in its ruthless ambitions and moral decay, can learn on my dime. I don't know who will lead us through the '90s, but they must be made to speak to this spiritual vacuum at the heart of American society, this tumor of the soul

Tom C

Postby Tom C » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:25 pm

I know he past away. It's also prominent in the PBS Frontline piece. It's nice that Lee had some deathbed revelations but it was little late, don't you think?

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:40 am

a snippet from this morning's Harper's Weekly on-line;

Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, who is expected to sign a $7 million book deal, was asked if she planned to run for president in 2012. "I'm like,
okay, God, if there is an open door for me somewhere, this is what I always pray, I'm like, Don't let me miss the open door," she said. "I'll plow through that door."

- Barney
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:16 pm

Run Sarah Run!

Plow through that open door!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:38 pm

David Loftus wrote:Someday I should post the historical story I researched about a couple of rival newspaper publishers who had a fatal gunfight on the streets of Roseburg, Oregon in 1872.

DAVID,
PLEASE MAN, YOU'RE KILLIN' ME HERE.HELP ME OUT.
unworthy,mike
p.s. just another clue.

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:40 pm

i like sara,and soup ,and pie.

Return to “General”