Sarah Palin discussion

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

markabaddon

Sarah Palin discussion

Postby markabaddon » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:09 pm

Barney alluded to it in another thread, but I think the topic is robust enough that it deserves its own.

Sarah Palin may become a very polarizing figure if she stays in this race. I say if, because Intrade (political betting site) had set the line at 18% that she withdraws her acceptance of the nomination. It was down to 13% later in the day but has rebounded.

I still do not understand why she was chosen, other than as a sop to the religious right. If he felt he had to have a female candidate as his VP choice, why not go with Kay Bailey Hutchinson, Libby Dole, Olympia Snowe or Nancy Collins. Not that any of them are great choice mind you (although I like both Snowe and Collins) but they have a helluva lot more experience than this Northern Exposure reject.

The fact that the McCain camp did not vet this candidate, something that seems likely since the RNC started vetting her yesterday, means that there will be increased scrutiny on this woman as people try to dig up dirt on her.

Barney has mentioned her religious extremism, but one aspect of her candidacy that has not gotten enough press is her involvement in the Alaskan Independence Party. Although she has been a registered Republican for years, her husband was a registered member and she recorded a welcome message for their 2008 convention.

This party advocates the secession of Alaska. More can be found through this Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Independence_Party

So the woman nominated for the VP post would like to have states have the ability to secede from the nation. I say she does not make it to October as the candidate
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:29 pm

They are even saying on Wall Street that she may pull out.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:48 pm

There is a joke to be made, but I will not be the one to make it.

Pull out?

Never mind.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:09 pm

Duane wrote:There is a joke to be made, but I will not be the one to make it.

Pull out?

Never mind.

Leave it to a GUY to come up with that....

But, I do think that with an infant who is under a year old and hasDowns syndrome, she shouldn't even think about being the VP

I'm sure she'll come to her senses sooner or later, but I just hope it's before the election.

Lori

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:17 pm

Oh, boy (car crash).

I was referring to the 18 year old "kid," the self-proclaimed "red neck" who didn't want children of his own, and the 17 year old daughter of the (now) VP candidate. Both of THEM should have known better. THEY were the targets of my silly joke.

NOT the innocent person with with Downs' syndrome. One should never joke about someone who cannot defend him/herself.

Oh, boy. :(

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:33 pm

Duane wrote:Oh, boy (car crash).

I was referring to the 18 year old "kid," the self-proclaimed "red neck" who didn't want children of his own, and the 17 year old daughter of the (now) VP candidate. Both of THEM should have known better. THEY were the targets of my silly joke.

NOT the innocent person with with Downs' syndrome. One should never joke about someone who cannot defend him/herself.

Oh, boy. :(

Never apologize if your dialog partner" has made the mistake Duane!

I thought you were referring to the woman herself, and not ANy of her children.

I was just saying that she's got a hand full in that infant, and maybe should reconsider!

Lori
Life, love and all the chocolate you can eat

Lori

purplelynn35@gmail.com

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:57 am

I do feel sympathy for the pregnant daughter. Suppose Mommie warned her about that truck that about to land on her when the nomination was announced?

Mommie is a creationist and while Gov slashed funds in the budget for...you guessed it...unwed mothers!

I listened in on a local talk show last night that had two big wheel party Repubs as guests. Nosiree bob we're not upset about Gov Palin's daughter! She deserves privacy...blah blah blah.

Now I agree the poor little girl deserves privacy. But stupid Mommie took care of that. And can anyone but me detect the stench of hypocrisy as the party of FAMILY VALUES suddenly discovers compassion and openmindedness?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:50 am

Palin will prove to be a disastrous pick. I agree that there are several other much better choices if McCain's criteria had been that his running mate be a woman. One meeting and we're done? Doesn't sound like a great decision making ability to me.

(This has all the hallmarks of Bush' famous "look" into the eyes of Putin. Gee, how's that going for ya now George???)

So the woman nominated for the VP post would like to have states have the ability to secede from the nation.

So, okay, there's ONE topic I agree with her on...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:35 am

I would prefer McCain drop Palin and put Bobby Jindal in as VP. At least, if he wins, he will not give us this awful woman as a possible President. Jindal is at least moral.

See, even I believe in country first.

sjarrett

Postby sjarrett » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:27 pm

Barber wrote:Palin will prove to be a disastrous pick.

Maybe. I hope so. She certainly should be, by any remotely rational measure. The trouble is, that's not the only metric in play here. I have a feeling that George Lakoff may well be on to something here.

Steve J.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:52 pm

Duane, of course we can joke about someone who cannot defend himself, we do it to Frank all the time :twisted:

Ezra, no you are not the only one who found this entire situation drenched with hypcorisy. Many of the people who screamed about Jamie Lynn Spears and Candice Bergen (many years ago) are now praising Palin and her daughter for keeping the baby.

And this whole abstinence piece makes me laugh. Palin and the rest of the Holy Rollers have been preaching abstinence only for years now, and here she is, about to become a grandma. Do these Repugs have their heads up their a*ses or what? No funding for birth control, abstinence only, and you decrease funding to help teenage moms. Do they just think the problem of teenage pregnancy will just go away if they hide in the sand long enough?

Barber, tell me you are kidding about states being able to secede from the nation...I expect that from Frank, not from you.

Frank, Jindal is a lunatic and not much better than Palin. He is also an extreme Catholic, has similar views on abortion and creationism and has had the distinction of participating in not one, but two exorcisms. Yeah, he'd be a great VP candidate

The dirt on Palin continues to grow. Now it is coming out that she has appeared at Jews for Jesus churches and spoke at one recently. A little insight for those of you who don't know, most Jews really do not like the whole jews for Jesus thing. Maybe it is the fact that they say we will be converted for our own good whether we like it or not but if Palin is on the ticket in November (and I doubt she will be), I would expect many ads in Florida (where old jews go to die) to focus on Palin and her extremist religious views

I am getting really fired up about this lady, can ya tell?
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:06 pm

No, I said I will take him over Palin, especially if McCain wins.

Duane, notice you are ducking me.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:12 pm

Other than gender and skin color, I see little to differentiate the two of them

I would have rather seen Pawlenty or Romney. Actually, strike that, both would give McCain a better chance to win, I am glad he went with Miss Northern Exposure

How come no one is talking about Republican voters being uncomfortable with a woman on the ticket and how that would affect voter turnout, yet it was a major topic during the Democratic primaries. Personally, I think Palin may have a negative impact on all segments of the Republican voters, other than the fundamentalist sect (and even they may be hesitant to vote because of their hatred of McCain)

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:39 pm

[quote="markabaddon"
How come no one is talking about Republican voters being uncomfortable with a woman on the ticket and how that would affect voter turnout, yet it was a major topic during the Democratic primaries. Personally, I think Palin may have a negative impact on all segments of the Republican voters, other than the fundamentalist sect (and even they may be hesitant to vote because of their hatred of McCain)[/quote]

You'd think that Mark, but i haven't heard it on any of the outlets I use to keep up with all this stuff. Matter of fact, herd some woman on NPR today saying that the preggo daughter just goes to show that she's a real person, who can identify with the struggles and problems of the average american.

I say we all pool our money, and buy a small island off the coast of somewhere. That way if McCain gets ellected we can all move and start a nation of our own!

Lori

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:41 pm

steve jarrett, thanks for the link. Interesting point of view. Lakoff may be right.

Conservative family values are strict and apply via metaphorical thought to the nation: good vs. evil, authority, the use of force, toughness and discipline, individual (versus social) responsibility, and tough love. Hence, social programs are immoral because they violate discipline and individual responsibility. Guns and the military show force and discipline. Man is above nature; hence no serious environmentalism. The market is the ultimate financial authority, requiring market discipline. In foreign policy, strength is use of the force. In fundamentalist religion, the Bible is the ultimate authority; hence no gay marriage. Such values are at the heart of radical conservatism. This is how John McCain was raised and how he plans to govern. And it is what he shares with Sarah Palin.

And needless to say perhaps but millions of Americans share these values.

I hate to think this much less say it but McCain can win you know.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “General”