Outrage after outrage.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:57 pm

Jello Biafra once said that Feinstein was the most evil woman he had ever met.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:04 pm

Duane -

Do your OWN fucking research. The data is there on the Web, and from many sources.

And what does any one particular name have to do with the bigger picture? Many of our representatives clearly have no real connection with the struggling working class. Now, it probably was ALWAYS like that. I DO have the notion, however, that it is truer now more than ever.

I think your response was incredibly lame-assed.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:28 pm

For the record, right now I'm more upset about FOX news getting its legal pass to knowingly lie on the air. I think that's a devastating blow to what this country is SUPPOSED to be about, even though most of THAT has been lip service throughout its history.

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:32 pm

You're right. After much research, I have discovered that no millionaire Senator, in his or her life, has ever donated a single cent to a charitable cause. Darnet, you got me!!

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:44 pm

Ah, never mind what I said. We're obviously talking about two different things, here.

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:53 pm

roboc.

I'm looking through fox 1st ammendment listings, can you offer me some cues?

thanks

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:29 pm

never mind i think i've found it

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:54 am

Okay.

Lord knows I am no fan of the chimp that lives in the White House, nor of his administration.

But I am forced to agree with many of the points in this Newsweek article that suggests that Bush is making too-little, too-late changes to his policies that may actually be far better than his old ones.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/151731?from=rss

Still a devastatingly inept and arrogant Presidency that is, in my mind, a complete failure, but I do appreciate what Gates has done to improve the situation with Defense and the war, and Rice has been a decent if unspectacular shaper of foreign policy.

In no way am I saying Bush was right,. As the article states, this administration has changed policy without admitting the abject failure of their earlier actions.

Now, I need to go brush my teeth to get the taste out of my mouth.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:36 pm

Steve,

Interesting article but a flawed supposition. Yes, there have been some subtle changes to their foreign policy, but the Bush legacy of failed foreign relations will be one of the largest problems facing the next presidency.

take, for example, the current situation in Georgia. Did the Bushies push back at all, or do anything to restrain Putin? No, they completely ignored him. Whether or not Georgia jump-started this conflict has become irrelevant after attacks on civilian targets and the fact that Soviet tanks are moving towards the Georgian capitol.

On the other foreign policy issues Zakaria raised, there is some merit behind it, but it is viewed primarily through a prism of, he had done nothing before so doing anything is a positive step.

Yes, it is good that he has started negotiations with both Iran and North Korea, but the current administration allowed the situation to deteriorate with both governments to such an extent that they were nearly forced into activity or face the proposition of other governments taking the lead at the negotiating table.

While not a blowjob piece, this article is extremely slanted in its portrayal of Bush policies (except on Africa, where Bush does deserve much mroe credit than he ever received)
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:43 pm

Well Steve when you hit rock bottom where can you go but up?

I don't know which is more nauseating, hearing Bush admonishing the Chinese and the Russians, clueless to his own hypocrisy or hearing the the Russians use our hypocrisy as a validation of their own stupid brutality.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

rich

Postby rich » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:59 pm

I don't understand why we're not doing something since Russia invaded Georgia. Alabama could be next.

And you know just KNOW that when CNN first put the headline, Russia Invades Georgia, there were a couple of GOBs (good ol' boys) from Montgomery who panicked and started boarding up their houses.

"They ain't goin' burn Atlanta and get away with it THIS time!!!"

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:24 pm

This is a wonderful take on Condasleeza Rice:

http://www.tbwt.org/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=41

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:11 pm

Bugliosi doesn't give Rice any slack either. He puts her and Chaney together with Bush as co-conspirators, at the very least.

This guy is serious. For those who haven't read The Prosecution of George W. Bush For Murder, this guy is not indulging in wishful thinking or Bush-bashing. This book is a guide, a primer for any prosecutor who wants to indict Bush for first degree murder. He'd do it himself if he were'nt retired. Check it out:

http://www.prosecutionofbush.com/

An excerpt:

If Bush were impeached, convicted in the Senate, and removed from office, he'd still be a free man, still be able to wake up in the morning with his cup of coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice and read the morning paper, still travel widely and lead a life of privilege, still belong to his country club and get standing ovations whenever he chose to speak to the Republican faithful. This, for being responsible for over 100,000 horrible deaths? For anyone interested in true justice, impeachment alone would be a joke for what Bush did.

I mean serious as a heart attack.

He also cuts no slack for the "liberal" press or the American public.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:06 am

But Bush didn't personally kill all those people. He had a little help if you recall. Congress. The military. A substantial portion of the American people.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:44 am

>> This book is a guide, a primer for any prosecutor who wants to indict Bush for first degree murder. He'd do it himself if he were'nt retired.<<

If I was a lawyer, and if I REALLY had something on Bush that could send him up the river with "the Sisters", that would be more than enough to pull me out of retirement. However, publishing a book is easier and more lucrative, and one doesn't have to go through all the hard work of actually prosecuting a case.

Return to “General”