Outrage after outrage.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:04 am

Imagine if some historian called Stalin an "alleged criminal?" He would not longer be a historian.

----------------

Rich, terrorists cannot be concerned about terrorism, doesn't make sense.

Drugs get in, no matter what security we put on the borders; terrorism works the same way. The only way to stop it is to stop doing it ourselves.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:05 am

No longer, not "not longer."

Knot head Frank.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:53 pm

Take your flash drive, put your info on it, then mail it to where you are going. Voila! Info taken from one place to another without it being spied on. If I can figure this out, so can the bad guys. All this other stuff is BS designed to keep us subconsciously afraid.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:41 pm

Alan Coil wrote:Take your flash drive, put your info on it, then mail it to where you are going. Voila! Info taken from one place to another without it being spied on. If I can figure this out, so can the bad guys. All this other stuff is BS designed to keep us subconsciously afraid.

Bingo. If I were a conspiracy theorist (well...more of one), I'd suspect the government was guilty of trying to keep the public scared, subservient and pacified.

But that's just me...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:33 pm

"If I were a conspiracy theorist (well...more of one), I'd suspect the government was guilty of trying to keep the public scared, subservient and pacified. "

Do you necessarily HAVE to be a conspiracy theorist to suspect such doinz'?

rich

Postby rich » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:09 pm

Alan Coil wrote:Take your flash drive, put your info on it, then mail it to where you are going. Voila! Info taken from one place to another without it being spied on. If I can figure this out, so can the bad guys. All this other stuff is BS designed to keep us subconsciously afraid.

Do you honestly think the government is not looking at the mail? And I'm being serious. See Gonazalez statements to Congress asking them to make sure they only ask him about the ONE PROGRAM of wiretapping.

I have no problem with the government using LEGAL POLICE methods to deter crime. The problem is that THIS administration is using illegal means to address the issues. It does not mean that these issues do not need to be addressed.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:05 pm

Whatever shreds of the Fourth Amendment of the Constitution that were left after the moronic War on Drugs got underway have now been ripped away by our equally moronic response to 9/11.

The Rand Corporation came out with a report last week

http://www.rand.org/news/press/2008/07/29/

that offers an interesting anlaysis of the War on Terror. You can find a free downloadable summary and the entire doc itself by following the links at the bottom of the page.

Having read it I must say it is well reasoned and thought out. Makes a lot of sense.

The Right will of course denounce it as "September 10th thinking" and the
Left will be too chickenshit to risk looking "soft on terrorism" by heeding its recommendations.

Not a question with an answer I suppose, but why is is that given a set of options in response to a given situation our government usually can be counted on to pick the most bone stupid of these choices?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:08 pm

Good call, Rich.

I bought myself a universal microflash drive (from Wal-Mart -- good thing there ain't many of 'em!!), which comes with a couple of adapters. I can put it in my cellphone, camera, or laptop. That means I can dump 2 GB of terrorism plans onto it from the laptop, then snap it back into the Kodak or Nokia, stashed among a bunch of similarly named photos or ringtones.

Heck, with hotspots all over the terminal, & now even in flight, why bother? I just FTP from a dummy site, or even from a stranger site with flawed security settings -- I've found 'em just by tracing back "enlargement" spam to an illegal spambot that'd been placed on some innocuous site.

And if I can do this, anyone with motivation & an IQ above 45 can learn it from a cell leader.

cynic

Postby cynic » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:34 pm

you can Whaaaa? This puts my iq at 45 or below. darn.

rich

Postby rich » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:24 am

Here you go, cynic:

Wi-Foo: The Secrets to Wireless Hacking

As Anthony said, airports are a great place for sniffers.

Actually, cynic, if you have wireless, have your system do a search for networks in the area. You'll be surprised at how many are unsecured. (though the number of secured home networks has gone up since people are more paranoid about this stuff, that goes out the window on the networks one uses at the car shop while waiting to get your car fixed, or in the airport)

The point is it doesn't take a genius, and, as Ezra pointed out regarding the Rand study (which I've only skimmed), there are SMARTER ways to combat terrorism, which, when all is said and done IS a police matter.

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:56 pm

thank you rich ,i do need to figure this security thing out. the last computer i used was a timex sinclair,this is definately a whole new world.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:54 pm

A Timex Sinclair? Wow, what a blast from the past. It was kinda fun programming in basic.

Welcome to the brave new world. Wear protection.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:29 pm

Thanks Chuck, My loins have been girded,but the phrase"brave new world" leaves me feeling oddly .......uneasy.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:40 pm

Depressing updates, and further evidence the country has slid from the hands of the middle class (the poor have generally been a write-off, so why even bring THAT plight into the picture?):

FOX - because of conservative judges - triumphed in court from a case appealed, I believe, in 2003, in defending their tweek on the first amendment, legally allowing them to knowingly lie on the news.

That gives McCain a free pass on all his flip-flopping (declaring, mendaciously, that OBAMA is the flip-flopper)!

That means propaganda can further pacify an already brain-dead American population - effectively turning the country into a passive Fascist state. News will be used like a blanket and a diversion from the control and activities of those in power: the corporations.

To make things worse, I was just reminded that there are well over 50 millionaires sitting in the Senate who haven't a clue about plight and struggle and giving to the disadvantaged. Being a millionaire doesn't necessarily mean you are without such scruples - as some of the Kennedy clan had proven (Rose Kennedy raised them on the principle of noblesse oblige, contrasting the "me-me-me" background from which Dubyah sprouted); it is an issue of conditioning. Most of these guys only know the easy way of life, and can't even relate to people who have to struggle.

Finally, you can factor in big business owners (and many small as well) who are determined to pay the lowest possible dollar now by-and-large considered poverty-level in today's inflationary dollars. In short, we've too many cheap, indifferent self-serving fucks.

It's over folks. We no longer have a country.

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:51 pm

>> To make things worse, I was just reminded that there are well over 50 millionaires sitting in the Senate who haven't a clue about plight and struggle and giving to the disadvantaged....Most of these guys only know the easy way of life, and can't even relate to people who have to struggle. <<

So you've personally investigated the finances of all fifty of these Senators, including both their public and private donations to charitable causes, and you have found all 50 of them wanting?

If so, you are the hardest nosed IRS agent in history.

By the way, "Most of these guys" isn't all that accurate, either. Both Feinstein and Boxer are, in their own right, millionaire...ettes......

Return to “General”