Dreams With Sharp Teeth DVD/Blu-Ray???

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankG

Dreams With Sharp Teeth DVD/Blu-Ray???

Postby FrankG » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:30 pm

Does anyone know when the DWST documentary will be released on dvd or Blu-Ray? I've looked online for information but I can't find a release date.

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:25 pm

the dvd will be out about half a year after the theatrical release, according to erik nelson, the director. that would mean something like december.
-- Jan, the Eminent Master, hath spoke. Leave at once; do as He requireth of thee. --

FrankG

Postby FrankG » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:50 am

Thanks for the reply. For some reason I thought the movie had been out for a while. I just found out that DWST will play at the SXSW festival. I'd love to go but, unfortunately it's only a week away and I didn't have time to schedule a day off from work.

rich

Postby rich » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:09 pm

It has been out for awhile. I was at the original premier, but apparently there can be more than one. As far as theatrical release, I may have missed that part where it was actually picked up by a distributor. Far as I can tell, it's being shown at libraries and festival events with the hopes of generating enough interest for a pretty good sized DVD release. I doubt it'll be on Blu-Ray.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:33 pm

Rich -
I think Erik is kind of considering our "premiere" as an actual preview instead. Ours was the original public showing, but according to what I've heard through the grapevine he's continued to edit in the year since.

According to the newest Rabbit Hole "This Fall, DREAMS will be available on DVD and iTunes."

It also mentions a showing at Lincoln Center on April 8th, and at The Independent Film Festival in Boston, April 23-29.

Then, apparently ignoring the Lincoln Center performance, it also says the New York premiere will be at The Film Forum on June 4th.

Go figure.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:43 pm

One format I can guarantee it will not be available on is HD, but I expect it will be available on Blu Ray sometime after the DVD release. My guess is that most films will start to be released initially in both DVD and Blu Ray formats within the next year as the transition to the newer format takes place
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:26 pm

Yeah the transition to the newer format for which they can charge us $10 more than an already overpriced DVD.

What a racket! Every five years a new format to have to update to!

Brilliant marketing and sales strategy but count me out.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankG

Postby FrankG » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:54 pm

I'd love for the film to be available in the Blu-ray format. There'd be plenty of space for a wealth of features such as, Ellison reading stories, deleted/extended scenes, and more. If it won't be available on BD for a while I'll pick up the standard DVD as soon as it is released.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:34 pm

Oh great, another Frank..lol

FrankG

Postby FrankG » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:16 pm

So, this is finally coming out May 26th. I can't wait. I've wanted to see this documentary for a long time.

FrankG

Postby FrankG » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:24 pm

I left out some details about the extra features for the DVD release.

from Amazon.com

"Over 80 minutes of bonus material including: Six Bonus Harlan Ellison Readings; Pizza with Harlan and Neil Gaiman; ''An Evening With Sharp Teeth'': The Film s Premiere; Trailer"

sjarrett

Postby sjarrett » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:45 pm

A blu-ray release of DWST might be nice, but keep in mind that a significant portion of the film consists of archival footage that is inherently low definition -- TV clips, home movies, etc. Still, it would certainly be nice to see the newly shot interview footage in high definition. That's assuming, of course, that Erik shot in a high definition format. (I'm guessing that he didn't shoot film, but maybe he did -- who knows? Silly question. Erik knows. Maybe he'll read this thread and chime in with the definitive answer.)

Steve J.

Return to “General”