What Makes You Cry

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:55 pm

I won't mention the weird irony that just happened, but suffice it to say, it is a good one. I was joshing a bit about hating kids. Just don't want one's of my own. I thank the lord every day that I never wore a fawlty condom. This world just stinks too much to bring children into it. I'm actually a wonderful babysitter, being that I have a mind of a child--up in my attic, in a pickle jar. Wink.

Bitch

Postby Bitch » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:32 am

I have the mind of a child too. It was a gift from an old friend. I keep it in the pantry with the canned goods and the pickled eye of newt.

Geeze, you people are just a bunch of cry babies.

I can't think off the top of my head or any other part of it of any written word that's made me cry. But then I'm the sort of person who gets supremely annoyed by mailers from non profits that show pictures of deformed, dirty, starving and or suffering children and ask me for money, so I guess it's no wonder.

They few instances there have been were not what I'd called calculated tear jerkers. They were phrases or paragraphs that got to me because I personally understood the frame of reference. It would have been something that resonated with me and my experiences. It tends to go the same with movies. The ending to the original King Kong makes me cry. I feel for the big fellow, up there all alone confused and heartbroken. Okay, TMI that time.

Jessi

Postby Jessi » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:42 pm

I've been thinking about this one for a while. I know lots of stories have made me cry but not very many upset me just thinking about them. One of those stories is JUST A LITTLE BUG by P. D. Cacek. I love the story but it gets to me every time I read it. It can be found in a collection of short stories, TALES OF THE IMPOSSIBLE, edited by David Copperfield. It's got some other great stories in it as well.

For the most part I don't like to read books or watch movies that make me cry. That doesn't mean I dislike the stories, I just hate crying. I blame my mom. She cries during all the sad/happy/sappy/emotionally overwhelming spots in movies and books too.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:29 pm

Crying means you are a good person.

Return to “General”