SCIENCE VS RELIGION

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:47 pm

robochrist wrote:The Winter Season

My fondest childhood memories of wintertime, that snowball I secretly packed with ice, muck, and grime.

I hurled that sucker at Alan Coil, who ducked in time, exposing Frank who'd been standing aft by luck sublime!

The iceball struck Frank outright, and all of Whoville slept ever gratified by that blessed night!

At work, some long, long time ago, a reprobate hit me in the back of the head with a canvas glove filled with hunks of metal. Instant headache, and I swear I had a vision of Frank's face as I came back to consciousness.

Reminded me of the Ghost of Christmas Past.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:23 pm

Rob, dork.

paul

Postby paul » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:05 am

FrankChurch wrote: The best way to defend god is to make the case that without an afterlife and morality anything is good--child molesting, killing, rape. Without a moral truth why be moral?

A guy I was a casual acquaintence with once said one of the most blindingly obtuse and frightening things I've ever heard.
"If I didn't believe in god, being good wouldn't be worth a quarter."

This coming from a guy who'd done the time and the crime. It was scary to think what his belief in a god was stopping him from doing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ezra Lb. wrote: CHTHULU FTAGN!!!

Just so you know that H.P. is rolling in his grave...
http://www.cafepress.com/cthulhuftagn.2596715

From the Designer:
Unfortunate investigators face Cthulhus horrific rise from the sea.

"Turn heads in this hot, hip, curve-hugging tee from American Apparel. Made of ultra-fine, ring-spun cotton, it gets softer with each washing. Lightweight for summer comfort or winter layering, it's a casual, effortless way to ensure you're stylin' in comfort."

Fer shure dood, yew'll look sooooo ceewell!
The medium is the message.

The Dreaded Slaymaker

Postby The Dreaded Slaymaker » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:10 am

robochrist wrote:At the risk of sounding like a woman with a period, I'm not the dude you wanna fuck with when that happens.

Rob, be careful. Saying things like that will get most women pissed off pretty quick. While there are a lot of women who are hormonally challenged at certain times of the month, there are also a lot of us who are not, and none of us like the implication that we are somehow less rational and/or more emotional than most men. And most women would tell you that, hormonal or not, you don't want to fuck with them, period.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:13 am

Rob is envious. He wants to be a woman, but doesn't have the heart.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:09 am

paul wrote:A guy I was a casual acquaintence with once said one of the most blindingly obtuse and frightening things I've ever heard.
"If I didn't believe in god, being good wouldn't be worth a quarter."

A lot of people seem to believe that, including ones who I swear would be naturally good even if they realized there was no God. But they don't think so, for some odd reason.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

The Dreaded Slaymaker

Postby The Dreaded Slaymaker » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:17 pm

I was raised Presbyterian, but would probably, these days, be considered a pagan. My husband is Jewish. We raised our daughter with no religious training at all (but had both Christmas tree and Manorah when she was little).

And yet, she is kind, considerate, extremely spiritual and has great moral fiber. Go figure.

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:24 pm

wow,one word can be so easily misunderstood.
from http://www.religioustolerance.org/paganism.htm

till now ,#4 was my ONLY definition

Fourth meaning: Pagans follow Aboriginal religions:
Paganism is occasionally used to refer to animistic, spirits-and-essences filled belief systems. These are based upon direct perception of the forces of nature and usually involves the use of idols, talismans and taboos in order to convey respect for these forces and beings. Many native, aboriginal religions fit this definition.

Sixth meaning: Pagans don't belong to any of the main religions of the world:
The Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary gives an alternative definition of the word "pagan" as: "relating to religious beliefs that do not belong to any of the main religions of the world" 18 This definition is rather vague, because it does not describe how a "main religion of the world" is defined. If it is any religion with more than, say, 1% of the world's population (i.e. 60 million members, then: Aboriginal religions, Atheism, Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Taoism would be non-pagan, whereas Judaism, Sikhism, Confucianism, the Baha'i Faith, Wicca, Zoroastrianism etc. would be pagan. I doubt that many members of the latter religions would be happy with their classification.

apparently,i could call myself a pagan #7

Seventh meaning: Pagans are Atheists, Agnostics, Humanists, etc:
The term "Pagan" was widely used by Atheists, Agnostics, Humanists, etc. to refer to themselves. The word was also used by others to describe these groups. The usage dropped after the rise of Neopaganism in the middle of the 20th century, and is rarely seen today.

none of my buisness ,but i'll guess you mean #6

mike
p.s.thanks for the stories,i like stories.and soup.

The Dreaded Slaymaker

Postby The Dreaded Slaymaker » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:10 pm

Actually, Mike, my beliefs would pretty much cover all three definitions.

Here's another story: about three months before my 40th birthday, I picked up a wonderful book called "Crossing to Avalon" by Dr. Jean Shinoda Bolen. The book had a deep effect on me, and I decided that I had to go on a pilgrimage to Glastonbury when I was 40 and walk the Tor. We couldn't afford a trip to England, but I have always been a believer in synchronicity, and knew that if I was meant to go, the money would appear.

It did, and I went. It was a profound spiritual experience. I felt a connection to the earth (and the sky) that I had never felt before. I know there's a lot of bogus bullshit that goes on in Glastonbury, but there is a reason the fakes and hacks chose that particular spot, and it's not because some PR-savvy monk in the 11th century drew tourists by claiming to have found the bodies of Arthur and Guinevere. There is something there, and in other places around the world, that speaks to people who are open to it. Call it God, Allah, Mother Nature, or just earth energy, but it is there.

That was 13 years ago. The residual effects of that trip have, for the most part, stayed with me. A year after the trip, my family and I pulled up stakes and moved to Vermont, changing to a slower, less stressful lifestyle. I share my life with a number of animals (3 horses, 2 dogs, 5 cats and 2 ferrets), and that also helps to keep me centered.

If you all are truly interested and not already bored beyond belief, I'll go into my spiritual beliefs another time. For now, I need to go to bed!

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:15 pm

good idea,sweet dreams.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:13 am

Cool video to start off the new Year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzd1OiP27s0

Nature magazine has published a short list of important developments in evolutionary biology that demonstate clear and incontrovertible support for the theory of evolution as an explanation of the development of life on earth. It also shows that the evidence continues to grow. (Note: This doc is a PDF)

http://www.nature.com/nature/newspdf/evolutiongems.pdf

2009 is a special year for science.

1. 200th anniversary of Darwin's birth.

http://www.darwinday.org/

2. 2009 is the International Year of Astronomy with many events scheduled...

http://www.astronomy2009.org/
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:12 am

Social Darwinism I have a problem with.

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:16 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Social Darwinism I have a problem with.

interesting that the "evolution"of religions/ideologies is the solution/cause for so much strife.
..... judaism/catholic/protestant etc. ... shiite/sunni/sufi etc. ...

the first 9 min. of an interesting comparative religion vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjGkRFFBd0A

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:21 pm

So Spiritual Darwinism is worse or better than Social Darwinism?
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:27 pm

EZRA,
i should have adressed the last link to you,i would appreciate your opinion on all 30 minutes.i thought ,with your knowledge of religion you might enjoy it.

somehow i doubt frank will watch it,though his honest opinion will interest me as well.

happy new year,mike

Return to “General”