Scoring many points with Harlan by invoking Mr. E. Martin

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Jan

Scoring many points with Harlan by invoking Mr. E. Martin

Postby Jan » Sat May 20, 2006 2:22 pm

Jan
- Friday, May 19 2006 8:20:57

[...] I hope you'll let us know when you and the producers have settled on key personnel, especially the director etc. Is the Dream Corridor movie project still on as well? (Sorry to be such a pest, but we need periodical mentions to stay happy and energetic - no details required. Eric and I have already come to different conclusions.)

Eric Martin
- Friday, May 19 2006 8:34:28

Jan, kindly refrain from speaking about me or my opinions in your posts here, unless I have posted something here on the Pavilion that calls for such a response. I don't need more hassle and trouble here, especially from this kind of obvious baiting.

Jan
- Saturday, May 20 2006 7:28:38

Eric, I'm of absolutely peaceful disposition, and since the two of us haven't had an argument in years any sudden claims to the contrary border on paranoia. Nor did I say a word about what your opinion is. Even if I had, I can't see why you aren't comfortable with your own publicized views on a relatively trivial subject. Finally, please note that I am a free person and will not "kindly refrain" from using my god-given liberties. Will speak about anyone I bloody please. If that means making you unpopular with Harlan every five years or so that your name turns up in one of my messages, you better find a way to deal with it. (Find me in the forum, if you need more attention.)

Eric Martin
- Saturday, May 20 2006 9:37:23

Jan, I'm tired of posters trying to score points with Harlan by using me as an example. It's cheap and easy, and I would appreciate it, seriously, if you would limit your posts to the Pavilion about YOU and what YOU think about things, and not waste time talking about me...like you just did, AGAIN.

I would never invoke you or your opinions in an effort to get the old man riled or interested. Don't you do the same. THANK YOU.

---

Jan
- now

My dear tired Eric, I haven't used you as an example in front of Harlan now, nor ever before. But don't worry, human memory can be trained to store information more accurately (http://www.rocketreader.com/benefits/memory.html). The thing is, you should speak directly to the guilty parties because I won't pass anything on if I don't know to whom. On the other hand, should you be aware that this might very well be the first time ever that even I mentioned you in the P., behave accordingly. SERIOUSLY. THANK YOU.

Regarding my recent posting, you were the only person I remember talking with about the movie, so you're hardly an example (an item of information that is representative of a type), and certainly not a bad example nor made to look like one by clever manipulation. However, having now been accused of this major offense anyway, I reserve the right to use you plenty as an example of someone suffering from chronic need of attention and acute delusional paranoia in the future. Like I said, I talk about anyone I please, and there's not so very much you can do about it, is there. SERIOUSLY. THANK YOU. AMEN.

Maybe your mother will explain to you the hard-to-grasp difference between talking to someone or about someone as well as simply mentioning someone with no judgment whatsoever attached. I mentioned you in one post and responded directly to you in the second. You're the one making all the fuss, and only you know why. AGAIN. THANK YOU.

I can just feel how many points I scored by mentioning your name. I'm suddenly Harlan's favorite of all. (He said, glowing with pride.) I know, I and everyone else but your unflickeringly honest self is a sycophant, and something must be done about it because it's at the expense of you being popular with Harlan, all due to people like me using you as a shining example of whatever is most despicable.

The only thing to anyone's disadvantage that happened in front of Harlan is that you made me look rather hostile when this is what everyone but self-important Eric is desperately trying to avoid in the Pavillion for obvious reasons. Sending private messages is obviously nothing you would consider because it doesn't satisfy your need of attention. The fact remains: I only had the warmest feelings for you two days ago and have no idea how you could read such rubbish into my post.

Jan

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Sat May 20, 2006 2:44 pm

Well, this is a first. Eric raises something unpleasant on the Pavilion... and then someone _else_ starts a thread about it here on the Forums.

Usually, Eric takes it upon himself to start a "dialogue."
"Everything... Everything... Everything gonna be all RIGHT this mornin'..."
-- Muddy Waters

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Sat May 20, 2006 3:01 pm

Do either of you have ANYTHING better to talk about? Or start new threads about?

Well, I know you don't, Brian, but I was pretty sure Jan was above your complete lack of a life.

Guess not. Go nuts, guys...next time I'm in town I'll pole dance for ya.

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Sat May 20, 2006 3:04 pm

Oh, and Jan...I did PM you. Check again.

Jan

Postby Jan » Sat May 20, 2006 3:56 pm

Attention Eric. Attention Eric. For future reference, a private message in the Pavillion is not a private message in a strict sense.

Yeah, you PM'd me. You PM'd me two minutes before posting the exact same message over there. Thanks. Which one did you think I'd see first? I noticed that faux pas but wanted to spare you the embarassment of mentioning it in front of everyone, a normal gesture of kindness you obviously don't know what to do with.

It's common knowledge that no one has a life but you. However, if being here and posting something means having no life, well, there's a counter on the left that says how many posts everyone has written. I presume yours were all short and only dealt strictly with important Ellisonian matters. Yeah right.

I've seen you run from a discussion before, the minute your claims start looking too silly. You're great at starting something, but nowhere to be found when your knowledge is exhausted or someone calls your bluff. (Our recent "discussion" (if talking to a wall can be called so) about Germany in Frank's political thread would be a good example for you to look up.)

Don't take it personal, but I'd rather not see your pole dance. Maybe some other time. THANK YOU. Seriously.

rich

Postby rich » Sat May 20, 2006 8:44 pm

Good God. I'd almost say that Frank's first News Corner deserved to still be here as opposed to tripe such as this.

For the record, I didn't see anything implied by Jan's post. However, considering that Jan doesn't seem to remember any of the past squabbles with Eric, and also considering that Eric is synonymous with some people as "troll", it always is a bit dodgy to bring up Eric's name in a meaningless post. And in case you've been asleep since you've been posting, Jan, by saying that Eric has a "different opinion", though meaning nothing to me, it MAY mean something to all the Eric-haters out there, and give them a jumping off point to bash Eric. See evidence of Brian's post in this thread immediately after yours, Jan.

I was happy to ignore all of it on the Pavilion, and then I see this. I'm all for one posting whatever one wants to post, but this is just plain nuts. Jan is a nut, and Brian is a nut. (Brian's also a bit of a coward as he never seems to take the initiative to address any issues with Eric upfront. He's always waiting for someone else to start the anti-Eric thread so he can do the sidekick "Yeah, what he said" thing. Passive-aggressive, meet Brian Siano. Brian, passive-aggressive. I'm sure you two will have much to talk about.)

Yeesh. My doctor said I should eat better, exercise more, and lay off reading Webderland so much. I guess I should take his advice.

Actually, I probably would, but there really is a lot of stupid shit being said out here (and, yes, I'm aware of the irony in that sentence) that just begs BEGS to have comments made. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun May 21, 2006 3:13 am

"Like shooting fish in a barrel"

At least Rich understands he's the FISH.

For the most part here I side with Jan.

This whole thing is like something out of SEINFELD! You're all so busy NOT participating in this "silly" thread that I'm losing count of the POSTS!

Ya dumb fucks!

:lol:

Rudiger Treehorn
Banned

Postby Rudiger Treehorn » Sun May 21, 2006 5:14 am

Good to see Rob Blob return to lower an already low conversation further.

Jan, as your truculence is, I think, born of the rambunctious thick-headedness of youth and not of permanent thick-headedness, I'll suggest that you shoudl follow Eric's advice and stop referring to him in your posts. You should do this for any Webderlander if they ask because it's the polite thing to do and politeness will win you a lot more friends and admirers of worth than will pig-headed stubbornness. Being a dink on such a small matter is a waste of your energy and your reputation. If you're gonna be a dink, go big or go home.

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun May 21, 2006 9:18 am

Interesting that some consider it a matter of stubbornness when someone is impolitely asked to give up a basic right based entirely and alone on a misunderstanding and if that someone prefers to "talk it out" in the hope of encountering residual grey matter in the assailant.

Of course I have no problem with Eric's original request in itself (if only because the odds are against me mentioning Eric or any of you more than once in ten years), just with its foundation (a misunderstanding), the mode in which it was put forward (only Rudiger would call it an "advice"), its basic sillyness, its effect on the Pavillion, and with Eric's perception of having some kind of quasi legal and moral rights to make such a request.

Rich (recently called the Rich by mistake :oops:), certainly I remember past "squabbles" with Eric, but nothing in recent times qualifies (in my eyes) as an argument, which is what I think you mean.

For the record, it is not MY intention for this to be an "anti-Eric" thread, it's an anti-Eric-seeing-hostility-where-none-exsists thread. I don't do bashing, no matter what it looks like to the uninitiated (Rudiger) who don't know our past history here, which serves as the larger foundation of my opinions about Eric and is the only reason why I bothered with a communication attempt.

Interesting, too, that having a disgreement with someone and trying to get to the root of it is (as usual in pseudo-intellectual circles) considered tripe, truculence, a waste of time and reputation as well as evidence that we are all nuts. Personally I don't see this expect for the nuts part. We can all play passive-aggressive like our newbie Rudiger while ranking story writers, or sort it out in a more concrete fashion.

I appreciate Rich's take on why this all happened (I'm not expecting a better explanation from Eric who probably has none), however, the main question remains unanswered: If I have made it clear that Eric misinterpreted something, then why exactly doesn't Eric retract his remarks but only underlines them? Well, we'll all just have to draw our own conclusions and move on.

Rudiger Treehorn
Banned

Postby Rudiger Treehorn » Sun May 21, 2006 1:10 pm

Nice to know ranking story writers is passive aggressive behaviour, Jan. I'll have to remind myself to never apologize for being short with you again. You're a piece of shit.

Interesting to note that apparently mentioning Eric Martin by name in a post is a "basic right" in Germany. That's a very comprehensive Bill of Rights you got there, Hammerman.

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun May 21, 2006 1:30 pm

You know very well that I was talking about your behavior, not your activity. But it doesn't matter, it pales in comparison to this. I thought I heard someone preaching politeness a day ago, but I cannot for the life of me remember who it was.

Rudiger Treehorn
Banned

Postby Rudiger Treehorn » Sun May 21, 2006 3:38 pm

Jan, looking at your activities on the Pavillion simply in the last week, I note that twice you've tried to pull Harlan over here by mentioning discussions that are going on over here and not on the Pavillion because people other than yourself are trying to either not start fights or not bait the old man into a fight on the Pavvy, as Harlan very rarely posts over here and as discussions over here are generally much more freewheeling than they are on the Pavillion, both in the broadness of the topics and in a generally less reverential tone towards Harlan's work.

You're the shit-disturber, Jan, and I'll bet you're frustrated because Harlan's ignored the bait pretty much so far and hasn't given you the scene you so desperately want so you can get your rocks off. You're not a wounded party. You're a troll playing "let's you and him fight." As everyone seems to be onto you now, my guess is your trolling ain't gonna work, but good luck with it. In time, you can turn this obsession into a career.

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun May 21, 2006 4:55 pm

*yawn* ok, so this is now about me allegedly trying to lure Harlan here and how can I do that to the man? I’m sorry if my enthusiasm is faltering, there’s only so much loony talk I’m willing to put up with, permit me to move on, you win, whatever.

That's it folks! Tune in next week for another episode of THE RUDIGER TREEHORN BRAIN AMPUTEE SHOW. This time, see him struggle with how the brain of the 10-year-old Randy rejects Rudiger's body and how the mind of a frog remains his only hope of winning the beautiful Lisa!

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun May 21, 2006 4:57 pm

(oops.... I guess I better go into hiding for some time... this was so stupid of me.... always getting myself into a mess... I'm bound to get beat up.... who knows how big the loony clan is... maybe Eric knows a good place... Eric?....)

DVG

Postby DVG » Sun May 21, 2006 5:34 pm

Nephelidian theory must be on the way out.

Return to “General”