Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:53 am

Eric, the western German, 1984 subtotal in your list is 9.1%, which is among the highest levels of the 80's. (Doesn't matter, what you said is still basically right.)

Rudiger, you're on your own there because I don't know what's on the American market. Personally, I think you're absolutely fine and well ahead of most people if you know more than the basics about circa 1925-1955, which is more important than anyhting that came afterwards, with the exception of the reunification. The period includes Nazism and the internationally difficult first post war years. Foreigners and Germans don't usually get any of that right, but it's such a fascinating period that it's hardly an unpleasant task to read something detailed about it, combined with the occasional movie or documentary. A million insights there, especially if one picks up books on specific subects, depending on your interests, but the main one being the Holocaust. It's also amazing what's out there in terms of diaries, autobiographical accounts etc. Of course, the more recent periods aren't anywhere near as interesting and it's good enough to know what the most important decisions and events were. For example, it's probably worth knowing something about the reunification and eastern/western disparities, but I'm sure you do. Hope that helps and saves you time.

Will read our host's message later.

Burgundy Ficus
Banned

Postby Burgundy Ficus » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:02 am

>Unemployment and low birth rates are a European problem, and there aren't any simple solutions. I don't see Germany's economic or environmental problems as singularly German, <

Oh, come on. You know that Germany secretly sees themselves as the Chairman of Europe. England doesn't count, and France, well, you'll get it right the third time.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:58 am

Burgundy Ficus wrote:
Oh, come on. You know that Germany secretly sees themselves as the Chairman of Europe. .

Well. . .isn't it?

I think America's freer because it has more open space to hide in.

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:25 pm

Yep, even Paul McCartney weighed in on the overpopulation problems the Far North is having. "NWT, Yukon and Nunavut are so crowded you can't swing a cat without smacking a seal in the head," he said, to a mixed round of cheers and boos.

ps. Jasper NP is awesome.

Earl Wells

Postby Earl Wells » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:37 pm

Are there any decent books that lay out post wwII German government to the present?

This one, which covers more than Germany, looks pretty good: Postwar : A History of Europe Since 1945 by Tony Judt, published last year. It's on my list of books I'll probably get and read someday. Anybody read it?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:56 pm

Barber, you know it is true. Woman didn't receive the vote, they had to force our government to give it to them. Blacks still have to force them to even consider them to be on the same level of humanity.

As a black woman said at a Michael Eric Dyson talk: "Black people can never hide the fact that we are black. So we will never fully have the same rights that people have who can hide."

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:37 am

Frank - Not to be obtuse, but what am I supposed to know to be true? I don't think I disagree with your statement above.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:55 pm

Maybe I'm being obtuse but why would a "black person" want to hide the fact that they are "black"?

And what makes them think that the fullest expression of their rights is being able to "hide"?

Talking about race makes fools of us all simply because there's NO SUCH THING AS RACE!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:51 pm

She meant that her black skin gives her away, because she cannot hide from the fact that she is black, and that fact brings forth all the spew that has been said about blacks; them being lazy or always ready to take a welfare check.

White skin is an E-Ticket, instant access to a better life, earned, or not.

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:54 pm

>White skin is an E-Ticket, instant access to a better life, earned, or not.<

Well that explains you, Frank...it's all clear to me now.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:46 pm

I was thinking about something that Johnathan Kozol wrote recently: He was talking to inner-city school kids in New York and he asked one kid what country he was in and the kid answered--"The Bronx." Yes, it is getting that bad, folks.

They no longer teach geography or science in schools, because they have to teach now, to go along with the standardized tests. This is Bush 101, allright. No child left intact.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:47 pm

Eric, anarchy is a cookie, not a leash.

rich

Postby rich » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:19 am

But what does that make the leash?

By the way, Ezra, I had no idea there was no such thing as race. Can I refer to myself as black even though I'm quite pale?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:46 pm

The leash is capitalism, whenever the invisible hand pulls at the dog collar, we abide the command, by the input of corporate pr and televised hypnotics.

Eric is what you would call a classic test case for American-made barbarism.

rich

Postby rich » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:14 pm

But what does that make the dog collar? What is time again?

Return to “General”