Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:59 am

Once they become President you don't cut them slack, they cut you slack.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:52 pm

I found a behind the scenes of Hitchens at the Texas Atheist convention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAkzyOEctNw

The end there is mighty sweet. That young atheist girl scares me.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:41 pm

Frank

Why would a smart girl way younger than you be a frightening thing?

I just wish my parents would have been more like her mom. We all need to grow up with people encouraging us to be whatever it is we choose to be.

And she didn't want things she didn't believe in to cloud her mind. Hate to say it but the whole "God said it, I believe it and that settles it" mindset is more scary to me than she is.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:15 pm

Norman Finkelstein, Alex Cockburn, Slovaj Zikek, Chomsky, all dissed both Hitchens and Havel. It's not that exotic of an idea. It wasn't just me rantin. 8)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:16 pm

Lori, she gives me hope. But her Mother shouldn't force atheism on her. That's as bad as forcing religion.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:13 pm

Frank

I don't think you can force someone her age to read CH books. He has only written ONE children's book, and that video had her mother stating that she has read everything the man wrote.

She said that she wants to be a freethinker. Believe it or not those exist on either side of this particular fence. I should know, if you truly understood what I believe, that I am one of 'em.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:19 pm

Well, the latest drivel about me and Finkelstein and Hitchens and Havel kinda tells you how low the bar is for free thought in America. You have free thought as long as I agree with you. lol.

In Europe you would not get this kind of reaction. No wonder our media is so terrible. We are afraid of the rustlings in the woods. A shame.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Like I wouldn't see this back here. Interesting choice of a word there - "afraid."

What is fearful is waiting until a man is well and truly dead before deciding to do a piss take on him. It's promoting said blog twice while praising with faint damns something best left forgotten. It lacks the courage of ANY conviction whatsoever.

I've said it before and I'll say it again now. Frank - your ENTIRE persona (as opposed to one ounce of real personality) is summed up by the phrase "ring and run." And if you can't be bothered to assemble your own bag of flaming dog shit then you are more than happy to borrow someone else's. This week - Finkelstein's.

We all have that big dirt nap coming. My fervent hope is that others remember you in a manner similar to the way Finkelstein chose to remember Hitchens. Or, not at all. That works just as well.

- Barney Dannelke
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:10 am

Barney, I'm going to say this for the fifteenth time--I thought the critique of Hitchens was harsh. To be fair, Hitchens has said things far worse--calling the Dixie Chicks "fat slugs." Imagine if I said that to one of the ladies here. I would deserve banning.

He compared the work of Michael Moore to Leni Riefenstahl. He didn't honor the dead when he said Jerry Falwell could fit in a matchbox if you gave him an enema. Sure, Falwell was a snake, but some people think the same of Hitchens. If you saw my recent scriblings you would note that I felt bad for the guy. I'd like to remember the noble warrior prior to sept 11--the daunting anti-imperialist. May his soul rest in peace.

Once again, Barney, be good.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:13 am

Since the Iron Lady there has been some awful historical amnesia about how awful Lady Thatcher was. She was pure evil, in my view.

Steve Evil, your take from england?

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:23 pm

Thatcher destroyed a generation, and their grandchildren are haunting my classroom. Imagine a whole segment of society completely gutted and thrown to the ditch to fester for decades. It ain't pretty. It's like watching evolution in reverse. That woman has a lot to answer for. . .

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:27 pm

Similiarly, the fruit of Reaganomics is now springing forth, juicy and poisonous, from every crack in every sidewalk in the land.

Over the holidays an old friend confided to me that during the stock market crash of 2008 he had lost $100,000 which he has never been able to recoup. While I was silently digesting this he came out with the opinion that ANY of the current Republicans would be a better president than Obama. Now god knows I am no big fan of Obama - see below - but I was competely flabbergasted and could come up with only a clumsy response.

I find this very disturbing. My friend is not an idiot and yet he has become convinced that Obama's policies and some threatening entity called BIG GOVERNMENT are behind the current economic problems in this country. He and millions like him apparently are about to select a candidate who supports the same policies that ARE responsible for our situation.

How can you be that clueless? How can you grimly and determinedly cut off the limb from which you hang by your fingernails? Is it Lemming Time? Has a genetic switch been thrown where everyone feels an irresistable compulsion to run off the edge of the cliff?

------------------------------------------

Tell me friends, no matter how nightmarish the prospect of Republican president is, how can I vote for Obama? He is a liar and a hypocrite.

http://www.aclu.org/national-security/p ... n-bill-law
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:05 pm

Steve Evil, the Newsweek cover on the iron bitch was a nauseating read.

Obama has a spine for buttoning far away murderings but not much else.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:44 pm

Now this was the Chris Hitchens I miss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czu87N2avr4

How about the idiotic opening comment by Maher? Jesus, he is really smart, but sometimes he really pisses up a rope. Ah, hitch.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:58 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Now this was the Chris Hitchens I miss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czu87N2avr4

How about the idiotic opening comment by Maher? Jesus, he is really smart, but sometimes he really pisses up a rope. Ah, hitch.

I forgot what a militant anti-communist Maher was. I keep waiting in these kinds of debates for someone---like Hitch, who should have known---to bring up the fact that the only reason Ho Chi Minh went communist was because we turned our back on them.

One thing, though---Maher was technically correct about Vietnam. The longterm purpose of it was to bleed the Soviets. Not the Chinese, because the Vietnamese hated the Chinese. It was Russian tanks and trucks we were facing there, not Chinese. But those were the days we thought communism was a monolith. But anyway, yes, our strategy, such as it was (and it eventually worked, by some definition of "worked"), was to force Moscow to spend treasure. We spent them into penury and after the Wall fell and Perestroika bloomed, we found out how truly unsustainable the Soviet empire was. Even today we don't spend that kind of money---as a percentage of G.D.P.---on the military. Right before the collapse, they were spending over 35% of G.D.P. on their military.

The trouble Washington had was, and is, how to convince the American people to send their children for the purposes of just bleeding an enemy rather than "winning" a victory.

Horrible times. About as bad as the present, only different.

Return to “General”