Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:51 pm

One of my Christian/radical heros, the great Dorothy Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNMHud0f ... re=related

She could give Ezra some tips. Wink.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:23 pm

FrankChurch wrote:One of my Christian/radical heros, the great Dorothy Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNMHud0f ... re=related

She could give Ezra some tips. Wink.

Yes Frank, occasionally you will find a Christian who takes their Master's words seriously and attempts to follow his actual teachings. Not many of course. And the vast majority of their fellow religionists treat them like dangerous lunatics. I have often wondered why the majority of so-called "Christians" were right wing rather than left wing. If you read the New Testament you would expect it to be otherwise.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:14 pm

I forgot to mention she was a Christian Anarchist.

We are out there Ezra, not my fault that the media bans us. They like the greedy Jesus.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:42 pm

Wendell Potter, whistle blower from CIGNA finally spills the beans that the insurance company tried to kill Michael Moore's movie Sicko with pr and propaganda, because of how truthful the movie was and that it might get people to want health care reform. CNN used fake pr as evidence that Moore lied, which Potter says was engineered by Cigna.

Obamacare was watered down because of this. Best to never believe what they tell you.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:57 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I forgot to mention she was a Christian Anarchist.

We are out there Ezra, not my fault that the media bans us. They like the greedy Jesus.

Frank hate to break it to ya but you're not following the teachings of the real Jesus anymore than Pat Robertson is. Jesus was an apocalyptic prophet who taught the imminent appearance of the Kingdom of God where the Almighty would rule the world from Jerusalem surrounded by the Jewish people who would in turn be served by the rest of us. This is why he told his Jewish followers to "turn the other cheek" and "take no thought of the morrow" and taught that it is "hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom" not because he was a leftist but because he expected God to come down and set things right any minute.

It helps if you actually read the New Testament, it surely does. So few "Christians" ever do.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:38 pm

Labor Lawyer and writer Thomas Geoghegan tells us why living in Europe is better than America:

http://www.alternet.org/economy/148501/ ... the_drain/

We should envy them, not hate. Then actual liberty will be something real, except it's actual representation: A flag covering a huge crack in the wall. The trickle of water through the crack is a warning.

-------------

On another topic: who here has read Toni Morrison? We want to see how multi-cultural you mooks are...ha.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:22 pm

If memory serves, this was the thread where there was some significant discussion on Net Neutrality.

HuffPost has a good article up now about Comcast getting busted for trying to really putting the squeeze on some of its content, specifically Netflix:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/timothy-k ... 89786.html
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:14 pm

The Wiki cables give you the impression that arabs want to bomb Iran. What they really mean is that the dictators want us to bomb Iran. There are polls in the arab world where around 80 percent of arabs think that Israel is the most dangerous country, while iran gets ten percent. The US is the second most dangerous. And in the same polls a majority of arabs think Iran should have nukes. What our leaders care about is not democratic intent of the people but what dictators think. Let's not forget the filters that filter out ideas that were not put in the documents.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:19 pm

Comcast wants to be the go-to guys when it comes to downloading movies on cable. Makes sense. They have to make short term gain, any externalities are moot.

Barber frustrated me on that topic so I cooled my heels.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:05 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Comcast wants to be the go-to guys when it comes to downloading movies on cable. Makes sense. They have to make short term gain, any externalities are moot.

Barber frustrated me on that topic so I cooled my heels.

Actually, if you remember properly, I cited Comcast as the worst actor in the crowd. They were my example as to why their method of controlling content is a bad idea.

So feel free to editorialize to your heart's content.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:05 pm

Chomsky was interviewed for the Jewish periodical Tablet:

http://www.tabletmag.com/news-and-polit ... m-chomsky/

---------

I'm rethinking Unions. I think it should be a free choice to join or not join a Union. Some unions I find very undemocratic. They don't listen to what the workers want and they center too much on the democrats. Workers councils seem to be a better idea.

If you could opt out of unions then Unions would be forced to kiss up to workers to get them to pay dues. It would give workers more power. At the same time they could just create their own workers councils and do for themselves. Obviously certain laws have to change as well.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:08 pm

It would also further castrate them.

I remember working in a slaughterhouse. Oh yes indeed, I spent some time in one 'o dose. The Union was the only thing standing between the workers and slavery. Union rules were the only reason the infured got any amount of compensation for, the only reason the pay wasn't worse than it was, the only reason it wasn't more dangerous than it was. If the plant had its way, all those guys sitting in the staffroom nursing broken legs and neckbraces would have been out of a job. They would have had to work weekends, and would have been paid a whole lot less than $10 (Canadian) an hour.

BUt if they had their way, alot of those workers would just as soon have gone without the union. Go figure.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Geoghegan's point is to give them the choice. Look at the shitty concessions the UAW go for. Councils would be stronger. I could even see conservatives going for em.

-------------

Now I know why Steve Evil went to hide between the greenery of England. You hear the beevs crying, doncha? Pats his head. Poor fella.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Have the beeves stopped screaming, Clarise? :twisted:
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:07 am

Steve Evil wrote:I remember working in a slaughterhouse. Oh yes indeed, I spent some time in one 'o dose. The Union was the only thing standing between the workers and slavery. Union rules were the only reason the infured got any amount of compensation for, the only reason the pay wasn't worse than it was, the only reason it wasn't more dangerous than it was. If the plant had its way, all those guys sitting in the staffroom nursing broken legs and neckbraces would have been out of a job. They would have had to work weekends, and would have been paid a whole lot less than $10 (Canadian) an hour.

But if they had their way, alot of those workers would just as soon have gone without the union. Go figure.

Everyone should have shit job at some point in their youth just for the perspective it gives.

As a teenager I worked in a genuine old fashioned southern cotton mill during the summers. Of course when my dad was young the town I grew up in was an actual mill village where everybody worked for the mill, with the proverbial company store, etc. I caught the tail end of a culture that used to dominate the south and has now been completely swept away by globalization. Not one of those mills still functions as anything other than a home for rats and roaches.

This being the south, no unions of course. I worked with folks who had been doing the same thing for 30 years and were pulling down $2.35 an hour. I think my last salary was $1.60 per. I was big and strong so I got to replace the spools when they emptied. I also spent many hours on my knees replacing the worn pads under the looms and straightening them when they wandered out of line because of the constant vibration. Midnight to 8 am was the worst shift.

But jesus the cleanest most glorious thing I have ever felt was the morning breeze on my face when I would walk out of the place covered in layers of sweat and grime like a troglodyte coming out of his cave.

Return to “General”