Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:27 pm

Greg Palast was on Grit Tv and he thinks that the Tiller story and the Holocaust museum shooting are not big stories so they should not be reported as much as they are. I don't think I agree, but I see what he is getting at. The media likes to overplay a story, in doing so they can avoid other, more important stories, like the facts behind the economic crisis, or the continued war in Iraq. A story about two right wing kooks doing crimes are not top stories, but I still think that we can learn stuff from them.

There was a gentlemen on Olbermann the other night who said that there are also hate groups on the left. Who are those haters on the left? People who are critics of Israel. Rolls eyes.

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:37 pm

Yeah, like just because we're in a war in Iraq, it doesn't mean the Right Wing packed up and left. They were dangerous before 911, and now, they are waiting for the right moment to pounce.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

cynic

Postby cynic » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:19 pm

follow your bliss,mike

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:56 pm

I'm gonna have to side with Frank on this one: there's some scary shit going down.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/14/opini ... ch.html?em

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:25 pm

Anytime you see a source and have doubts go to Sourcewatch. They tell you what's behind every organization and thinktank that the media uses for sources, because they are too lazy to do actual journalism.

I found out some interesting things about so-called left wing violence. The Animal Liberation Front has never killed or harmed any human being in their "protests." Not defending them, just sayin.

The Earth Liberation Front tends to destroy property as well. Once again, not defending them. They are criminals.

They also have a list of left activists who were either killed or injured by right wingers or corporations:

July 2002 - Bartolomeu Morais da Silva aka Brasilia, was a Brazilian farmer who advocated against illegal logging, land fraud and destructive, large-scale infrastructure projects. He was found murdered from shot gun wounds with his legs broken.
September 1998 - David Gypsy Chain was an American eco-activist who was crushed to death after an irate logger fell a tree on him in California's redwood forest.
February 1995 - Jill Phipps was a British activist who was deliberately run over while attempting to stop live animal exports.
1993 - Karel Van Noppen was a Belgium veterinarian who was assassinated in 1993 by hit men after exposing mafia connections to the meat industry.
April 1993 - Tom Worby was a British hunt saboteur deliberately run over by a hunter in April 1993.
February 1991 - Mike Hill was a British hunt saboteur who was deliberately run over by a hunter.
July 1985 - Fernando Pereira was a Greenpeace activist killed in New Zealand when the French secret service blew up the ship, Rainbow Warrior.
January 1976 - William Sweet was a British anti-bloodsports activist who was shot dead during an altercation with a hunter.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:18 pm

It's been a long time since I heard of any left wing conspiracy to shoot or kill anyone.

cynic

Postby cynic » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:12 pm

Steve Evil wrote:It's been a long time since I heard of any left wing conspiracy to shoot or kill anyone.
the vast right wing conspiritors must be on vacation.
follow your bliss,mike

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:01 am

I don't know about vast, but they do seem to be putting in a lot of overtime, lately.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Faisal A. Qureshi

Postby Faisal A. Qureshi » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:10 am

FrankChurch wrote: I found out some interesting things about so-called left wing violence. The Animal Liberation Front has never killed or harmed any human being in their "protests." Not defending them, just sayin.

Frank,

Course the ALF never killed anyone directly but I know they've certainly beaten the crap out of a lot of people who disagree with them, so much so they've had to go into hiding and I would argue they have indirectly killed through their activities through restricting medical research. Heck, they're even into body snatching dead grannies if they believe the ends justify the means.

The ALF is against all animal testing. Fine, I can live without another shampoo brand but what I can't live without is knowing some numb nut somewhere feeling that therapies for AIDS, Cancer, Muscular Dystrophy and other medical and genetic conditions should continue to suffer because of these people's mis-placed affection for animals. I studied in a science department that was a target for these people, they said they hated scientists but they didn't complain about getting the benefits.

This I will not stand for. The ALF are thugs, pure and simple. On my road is a neighbour who the ALF targetted because he was working on a building site of a company who had some interests at Huntingdon Life Sciences. They kick started a smear campaign stating the man was a paedophile and it got worse from there.

I've met so-called members of the ALF (as I have other extreme groups, it comes with the territory) and I have to say the best definition of them would be left wing fascists. I've rarely met an ALF member of colour (there was one Chinese and one Indian girl both roped into it by their partners than any real belief in the cause). When I've talked to ALF sympathisers they'll come up with some wishy washy "we're not racist but..." justification of why those darn dark people should really keep away from ritually slaughter anything that doesn't walk on two legs.

If you think I'm harsh on the ALF, you should meet a Green activist buddy of mine in Germany who surprised how often he met neo-Nazi sympathisers in these "left wing" causes. Of course they'd be horrified to be called Nazi's but the animal/green causes hid their brutish behaviour and dubious philosophies.

If the ALF, PETA or any of these people got raided tomorrow, I wouldn't waste any time on them.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:17 am

The right wing kooks are scary but the left wing kooks are just comic relief.

Speaking of right wing kooks...this just in from the Southern Baptist Convention (the religious org that I had the honor of escaping from)...

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/w ... amas-death

A former Southern Baptist Convention officer who on June 2 called the death of abortion provider George Tiller an answer to prayer said later in the day he is also praying "imprecatory prayer" against President Obama.

Wiley Drake, pastor of First Southern Baptist Church in Buena Park, Calif., and former running mate of American Independent Party presidential candidate Alan Keyes, said June 2 on Fox News Radio he didn't understand why people were upset with his comments quoted by Associated Baptist Press from a webcast of his daily radio talk show.

"Imprecatory prayer is agreeing with God, and if people don't like that, they need to talk to God," Drake told syndicated talk-show host Alan Colmes. "God said it, I didn't. I was just agreeing with God."

Asked if there are others for whom Drake is praying "imprecatory prayer," Drake hesitated before answering that there are several. "The usurper that is in the White House is one, B. Hussein Obama," he said.

Later in the interview, Colmes returned to Drake's answer to make sure he heard him right.

"Are you praying for his death?" Colmes asked.

"Yes," Drake replied.

"So you're praying for the death of the president of the United States?"

"Yes."

Colmes asked Drake if he was concerned that by saying that he might be placed on a Secret Service or FBI watch list, and if he believed it appropriate to talk or pray that way.

"I think it's appropriate to pray the Word of God," Drake said. "I'm not saying anything. What I am doing is repeating what God is saying, and if that puts me on somebody's list, then I'll just have to be on their list."

"You would like for the president of the United States to die?" Colmes asked once more.

"If he does not turn to God and does not turn his life around, I am asking God to enforce imprecatory prayers that are throughout the Scripture that would cause him death, that's correct."

In other news...

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/category/ ... iley-drake

A black Southern Baptist pastor is asking his denomination to acknowledge the historic first of President Barack Obama's election, despite their policy differences.

The Rev. Dwight McKissic of Texas wants the resolution put to a vote at the annual Southern Baptist Convention. The meeting starts June 23 in Kentucky.

So far so good right?

This is especially interesting considering that McKissic is himself a right-winger who, back in 2006, told the audience at the Family Research Council's Values Voter Summit that the Anti-Christ would be gay:

The civil rights movement, he said, was grounded in moral authority, truth and righteousness, the impetus to freedom, constitutional authority, and the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. In contrast, he said, the gay rights movement was inspired “from the pit of hell itself,” and has a “satanic anointment.” The gay rights movement was birthed and inspired by the anti-Christ. He suggested that the anti-Christ is himself gay, citing a verse from the book of Daniel saying the anti-Christ will have no desire for a woman.

“I don’t think there is any issue more important than how we are going to define the family,” said McKissic. Television shows portraying homosexuality in a positive light have put us “on the road to Sodom and Gomorrah,” and “God’s got another match…He didn’t run out of matches.”

Whoops!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:03 am

Yes, the ALF were thugs. So are the Sparticist League. So are International Answer.

----------------

Ezra, good post, wrong thread.

Lover.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:25 pm

Ezra, good post, wrong thread.

Wet blankets cover all.

BWAHAHAHAHA...
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:53 pm

Why are atheists more obsessed with religion than us good Christians? Obsession leads to madness. Find the soft side, fella.

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:14 pm

Because most athiests don't come knocking at your door, asking you to read the books they've written. They bother Simon and Shuster.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:31 pm

Newsweek is bashing Michael Moore's new movie already and they haven't even seen it. The fucking thing won't be released until october:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/202196

Shilling for the rich and the powerful, that's Newsweek's stand.

Keep bashing the left, Newsweek, we are winning, fuckers.

Return to “General”