Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:10 pm

How many people here have ever been to the West Bank? I don't need to see a show of hands, because I surmise that the number of hands may be zero. I have never been there either, but I read great thinkers and reporters who are there every day and give us a vivid color image of hell. Even Tony Blair was appalled.

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:36 pm

Barber wrote:Barney - Not sure if there is a word for two things coinciding like that -- I posted recently about the tv show The Tick coming up in two different groups, virtually simultaneously -- but there ought to be.

:shock: barney used one,"synchronicty"(i don't know if synchrony would fit better), you used "coinciding" ,a form of coincide,or "coincidence"(which fits).

or were you joking,and i am merely another monkey in front of another keyboard?

:roll: don't rub it in

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:21 pm

Mike -
No, I was being fully serious.

Synchronicity and coincidence work for the timing, but they don't really address the eeriness of the phenomenon I'm talking about. You and a friend going to the same gas station at the same time is a coincidence -- but if you hadn't thought about that person in months and did so that morning, then pulled in and saw him THAT would be the sort of word I'm seeking.

At best we're hyphenating things (Uncannily-synchronous, Oddly-coincidental, creepy-weird), but there really ought to be a word.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

The Dreaded Slaymaker

Postby The Dreaded Slaymaker » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:04 pm

Actually, Steve, I believe synchronicity is exactly the word you're looking for.

From Wiktionary: "(Jungian psychology) Coincidences that seem to be meaningfully related; supposedly the result of universal forces."

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:55 pm

I agree about the word being synchronicity. It can be explained further that because of a common societal influence, several people can be working on the same idea at the same time, even though not even knowing each other.

Re-read recently about the translating done after the discovery of the Rosetta Stone. 2 or 3 guys came up with basically similar translations at nearly the same time, even though they didn't know each other. That would be an obvious case, but today, with almost universal sameness all around us, synchronicity is bound to happen more often. Universal sameness can be seen in traveling from town to town across the country, where the Golden Arches can be seen in every town, as well as Home Depot, Wal-Fart, Subway, etc.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:57 pm

The Dreaded Slaymaker wrote:Actually, Steve, I believe synchronicity is exactly the word you're looking for.

From Wiktionary: "(Jungian psychology) Coincidences that seem to be meaningfully related; supposedly the result of universal forces."

Not quite. Again, I'm looking for a word that also conveys a slightly more "odd" tone.

Synchronicity works for the time I ran into a friend of mine in the Cayman Islands -- neither of us knew the other was going on a cruise, but right in the main street of the town I hear my name called. I gave an example earlier of coincidence.

There's no meaning to my example of "The Tick", but it's an eerie coincidence that it came up in two totally separate (and supposedly unrelated) forums.

It would be synchronicity if somehow the program had a special meaning for me, but it doesn't. It simply occurred in two places, and shouldn't have.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:05 pm

Barber wrote:It simply occurred in two places, and shouldn't have.

then you're thinking of"miracle",devine intervention.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:15 pm

Okay, enough of the word topic, back to the fun stuff.

Frank, You will like this article even though it's brought to you by a BAMO (Big Ass Media Outlet), the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7809371.stm

It has to do with propaganda and the believability of the Israeli videos showing the Hamas missile attacks.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:28 pm

The BBC is a bit fairer on the issue. We are the fanatics.

Israel also shut off the electricity in Gaza. The treatment pumps stopped working, leaving sewage in the streets. A war crime beyond scope. While everybody calls for the Palestinians heads.

---------------

Bernard Henri Levy admitted that he had never been to the West Bank. No wonder he is such a fanatic.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:31 pm

It's only fun on your end cappy.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:55 pm

Enough on meaningless political gossip. I don't give two shits about who Blogo puts in place of Obama in the Senate, and I really don't care about Carolyn Kennedy and her upper crust buddies in New York.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:58 pm

Taraq Ali on the current crisis:

"(31 December, 2008) -- The assault on Gaza, planned over six months and executed with perfect timing, was designed largely, as Neve Gordon has rightly observed, to help the incumbent parties triumph in the forthcoming Israeli elections. The dead Palestinians are little more than election fodder in a cynical contest between the right and the far right in Israel. Washington and its EU allies, perfectly aware that Gaza was about to be assaulted, as in the case of Lebanon in 2006, sit back and watch.

Washington, as is its wont, blames the pro-Hamas Palestinians, with Obama and Bush singing from the same AIPAC hymn sheet. The EU politicians, having observed the build-up, the siege, the collective punishment inflicted on Gaza, the targeting of civilians etc (for all the gory detail, see Harvard scholar Sara Roy's chilling essay in the London Review of Books) were convinced that it was the rocket attacks that had "provoked" Israel but called on both sides to end the violence, with nil effect. The moth-eaten Mubarak dictatorship in Egypt and Nato's favourite Islamists in Ankara failed to register even a symbolic protest by recalling their ambassadors from Israel. China and Russia did not convene a meeting of the UN security council to discuss the crisis. "

----------------

Richard Falk outlays Israel's list of war crimes:

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090112/f ... _currently

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:01 pm

One more: GOP says they will block Al Franken being seated. Oh really. Now you know what I hate these people. Thanks Mike Malloy.

cynic

Postby cynic » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:05 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Enough on meaningless political gossip. I don't give two shits about who Blogo puts in place of Obama in the Senate, and I really don't care about Carolyn Kennedy and her upper crust buddies in New York.

make up your mind,oh right,Al Franken is of prime importance.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:17 pm

Mike, don't make me come over there.

Return to “General”