Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:13 pm

There's a series called the Forbidden Bookshelf, which releases suppressed books. Books are not banned outright, but they are suppressed if the media or corporations do not like the subject or who it may upset. I talked about the Chomsky/Hermann book pulped in the 70s, later released, but not as well known as other books. Small radical publishers cannot get their books reviewed. Try finding a Counterpunch or Verso or City Lights book in the same realm as Thomas Friedman or Richard Haas. If people do not know a book exists they will not look for it. In a capitalist system the avenues of knowledge are tightly controlled.

http://www.openroadmedia.com/forbidden-bookshelf

Don't forget Bugliosi could not get an American publisher. Not even Bill Maher would have him on.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:19 pm

The attack in Israel is awful but it will goad Israel into bombing Gaza again, killing women, children, innocent men. Israel was attacking Palestinians before the attack. Violence is bad but state violence is always worse.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:20 pm

FrankChurch wrote:There's a series called the Forbidden Bookshelf, which releases suppressed books. Books are not banned outright, but they are suppressed if the media or corporations do not like the subject or who it may upset. I talked about the Chomsky/Hermann book pulped in the 70s, later released, but not as well known as other books. Small radical publishers cannot get their books reviewed. Try finding a Counterpunch or Verso or City Lights book in the same realm as Thomas Friedman or Richard Haas. If people do not know a book exists they will not look for it. In a capitalist system the avenues of knowledge are tightly controlled.

There's a certain amount of truth in this, but I wouldn't put it down to some overarching conspiracy. There is no committee anywhere vetting "important" books for the edification of the media. The fact is, there are too damn many books published for the available review slots.

It's fiction, I know, but in my case I have yet to receive a review in THE organ of the science fiction field---LOCUS. I've been nominated for the PKD, the James Tiptree, longlisted for a nebula, etc. I've got 12 books to my credit. LOCUS has never run a review of one of my books. In fact, I've only been review by one major paper ever.

Why?

Too many books, too little room. No space.

(Though I will admit it sucks big time and stings not a little.)

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:46 pm

FrankChurch wrote:The attack in Israel is awful because it will goad Israel into bombing Gaza again, killing women, children, innocent men. Israel was attacking Palestinians before the attack. Violence is bad but state violence is always worse.

Corrected language in red above.

Your ability to forgive appalling actions by anyone -- anyone -- because of someone else's actions is, well, appalling.

And, it needs to be noted, HAMAS IS THE FUCKING STATE!!!
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:48 pm

Mark, I think you will find LOCUS is an entity with its own set of rules, guidelines and activities. Our esteemed patron has railed on many occasions regarding same.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:Mark is right Frank. If hurt feelings were a justification for homicide, you'd have been dead a long time ago.

YIKES!!

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:21 pm

Steve Barber wrote:Mark, I think you will find LOCUS is an entity with its own set of rules, guidelines and activities. Our esteemed patron has railed on many occasions regarding same.

I know, and the story is more complicated, but still, my point remains. Was I suppressed? No, I was ignored. There's a difference.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:08 am

Rick Keeney wrote:
Lori Koonce wrote:Mark is right Frank. If hurt feelings were a justification for homicide, you'd have been dead a long time ago.

YIKES!!

Yeah, a bit over the top, Lori. Ratchet it down a bit.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:45 am

Please, I beg you, put yourself into the shoes of Palestinians. If you were in their shoes you would be in another place. Nothing justifies violence but it can be explained. Occupation leads to violence reaction. Think Iraq, think ISIS.

Mod, I don't think Lori wants me dead. Ah, hmm. :shock:

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:50 am

Bill Cosby may be a sick deviant. Wow, cannot trust any one.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:11 am

FrankChurch wrote:Bill Cosby may be a sick deviant. Wow, cannot trust any one.

Trust him for what? This is what happens when we turn celebrities into paragons.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:48 am

Indeed - up here there's some lousy CBC host who's apparently been preying on young interns for years. Not rape exactly, but some rather creepy and predatory practices. Famous people often thing they can get away with anything. And sometimes almost do. . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Israel's response begins I can comment on that. But in the narrow little space between event and retaliation, I have to ask: what does Hamas hope to achieve will these piddly little attacks? The destruction of Israel? The end of the occupation? Anything at all? They must know it will achieve nothing militarily, and they must know it will bring about massive retributions, and they must know the targets are non-combatants. So why bother?

The answer I fear, is something completely cynical. . .

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:58 am

The last thing Hamas wants to any kind of rationalization of relations. They stay in power by having an enemy. Normalize affairs and they'd actually have to govern. Keeping the pot stirred is to their (short-term) advantage. Longterm I think they're looking for any opportunity to overturn the status quo that keeps Israel intact and consolidated. They're vacuum-feeders.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:36 pm

Hamas did not do the attack.

-----------

Is Harlan seen here as a paragon?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:39 pm

Netanyahu wrongly blames Abbas. Even Shin Bet said Bibi was wrong. Bibi recently said he would never accept a Palestinian state. And, there is the closing of the Temple Mount to Muslims. They certainly egged it on.

Return to “General”