Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:31 pm

I have never felt this alone.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:38 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I have never felt this alone.

How so? I meant it was not acceptable for Rob to frame his note the way he did towards either of you.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:42 pm

Forgive if I missed it, but I am serious. You were pretty nasty to Doug, under the assumption he was Frank...neither one acceptable.

I'm actually missing this one. Did I say something to Doug that was intended for Frank?

In any case, my last post was a recant to Frank for the aggressive tone I used with HIM. That said, I WILL keep a damper on my tone with both, and anyone else. I want to point out, though, that I am sometimes offended by Doug's posting. A ways back, for example, when I was being cordial, he threw it back in my face. He goes on at times like a presumptuous self-appointed cyber-cop. At least, I should say, that's the way it hit me.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:47 pm

Go back and reread the previous three pages. You might be surprised.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:56 pm

OK.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:19 pm

robochrist wrote:OK.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:22 pm

If the ellipses represent "and?"...

Well, I shouldn't have gone where I did with EITHER party, whether or not one was mistaken for another! ESPECIALLY over Russia! (not exactly my most passionate of subjects)

You're welcome to delete it. In fact, in general, I don't mind if you choose to delete something I post without even telling me why if you feel you should; in a recent case, I THINK you did precisely that (unless I simply forgot to hit "submit") when I posted a comment to Mark about Frank ("backbiting", we call it); it disappeared, and I understood. In fact, I thought it was a GOOD idea! It wasn't right. In summary, if I post something and it disappears w/o anybody telling me why, I'll automatically KNOW why. And I'll make the note to myself accordingly about the inferred violation. Maybe that will help make our contract a little easier. But I think it'll be good. Let's see what happens. If I feel someone is getting unjustifiably insolent with me (as I do with Doug at times), I'll keep the rebuttal ad hominem-free. If someone pisses us off, there's GOT to be away to express discontent about it without getting vitriolic! That's the angle I'm still trying to get down. I gotta learn to stop making it such a personal thing!

I've told others on the board that I stop and listen to them on occasions they referee if I get too caustic with someone else I'm having a debate with; I step back, and retract or rephrase my argument. I listen to them because they are RESPECTFUL. I think Doug should show the same courtesy. A respectful tone counts for a lot. Yes, that applies to MYSELF as well, even if I get defensive! ALL of us get defensive in our own way when we feel someone else is unfair or getting out-of-line. But - I know - we do have to keep it reasonable.

In closing, I also want to mention - not that it matters - that I was in a horrible mood yesterday; just one of my shittier days. But I won't let such factors affect my behavior or responses on the board. I'll stick to the fine print in THAT contract, too.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:14 pm

Was that the apology?

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:32 pm

FrankChurch wrote:
Barber, you would have said Kos was anti-semitic a few years ago.

Mark Goldberg certainly would have.

Was Kos anti-semitic a few years ago, Franklin?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:44 am

Rob

Let me explain something you may have missed. I moderate these boards. When I tell you to issue an apology, it isn't an invitation to argue.

I don't mind that you get passionate about your position, but I warned you upon your return that I would not stand for this exact kind of behavior. You insulted two different people with your posts and, so far, have done nothing but tell us what a shitty day you've had.

I don't care. I can be sympathetic but not when you're using it as an excuse to be an ass to others.

Final warning.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:00 am

Alright. I understand, and I apologize.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:27 am

This may be the most stunning interview all this week, and the most sympathetic. Sometimes a Rabbi has to school us all:

http://www.democracynow.org/2014/7/30/h ... oice_of_us

What he said about the early Zionists stunned.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:49 am

robochrist wrote:Alright. I understand, and I apologize.

Thank you.

To let you know the impact of these diatribes -- of which that was the last I will allow -- Doug has sent me a note stating he is withdrawing from the boards.

That is why I take this sort of thing seriously.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:01 am

I see. Yeah, sorry about that. I'll quit getting so petty and stay more accountable.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:18 am

Barber wrote:
robochrist wrote:Alright. I understand, and I apologize.
Doug has sent me a note stating he is withdrawing from the boards.

That is why I take this sort of thing seriously.

That sucks.

Return to “General”