Ethics and the Borrowing of Videotapes

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

P.A. Berman
Banned

Postby P.A. Berman » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:46 pm

DVG wrote:To this "Paula" person:

Oh yeah, and fuck you too, Kemosabe.

(just to show that I'm still me)

PAB
I don't know. I don't care. And it doesn't matter anyway. ~Jack Kerouac

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:47 pm

As I predicted, after exploding all over the forum with all the grace of an Alien chest-buster, Finder and Jay have retreated back into the woodwork.

JaySmith

Postby JaySmith » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:48 pm

Paula,
I certainly do owe you an apology. It sounded spot on like your previous rants, but I accept that it wasn't you. The bad poetry clinches it. So, for what it is worth - I am sorry to identify you with whatever bug got up Treehorn's trunk. You've done your best to keep your distance and hold your tongue and it was entirely my assumption that broke that truce.

I guess Eric was right about why it sucks to hide behind an alias.

JaySmith

Postby JaySmith » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:49 pm

No, Eric. I just don't have internet access at work.

P.A. Berman
Banned

Postby P.A. Berman » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:52 pm

Yeah, just when I thought I was out, you PULLED me back in. :roll: Apology accepted. Now back to our regularly scheduled Sandy Twat Hour with Jay and Eric!

PAB
I don't know. I don't care. And it doesn't matter anyway. ~Jack Kerouac

JaySmith

Postby JaySmith » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:00 pm

"Ah, Jay, old ires confound your aim,
And send your last shot flying wide --
Berman is gone, though hardly tamed --
While board wars past remain your guide.
Not all ghosts return in their previous forms,
And peacemakers sometimes change their stripes:"

Oh, what-EVER, Dungeon Master. Skip to the part where we turn around and you're suddenly not there.

Wow, I feel really bad about letting it spread to Paula. Entirely my bad, Paula.

DVG

Postby DVG » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:38 pm

For the record--I had no idea that Jay was referring to Ms. Berman as I had no idea her first name is Paula, and indeed doubted that the person who wrote the rhyme was named "Paula."

Thus the ironic "quotes" around the name.

I've never had any quarrel with Ms. Berman. That I'm aware of anyway.

It occurs to me that it’s one thing to take a person to task for what seems a fairly obvious lapse in basic ethics. It’s another when people start discussing head lice. If I simply wanted to trade uncalled-for insults with people I’d attend my class reunion. (In fact, I plan on doing so.) (I didn’t say it wasn’t fun under the right circumstances.) Eric’s gaps in self-perception are disturbing, but this behavior is simply puerile.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:21 pm

I weighed in this morning on golf or croquet, and you know that because you posted after me. And beyond that, there were other fish to fry. And really, if I made this place my life, you'd hammer from the other side.
"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." -- Anton Chekhov

Jono

Postby Jono » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:03 am

For what it's worth, from a book collector's perspective, I certainly hope my copy of Rise Of The Monkey Lord comes complete, with typos interact: those are the editions worth big bucks down the line! ;)

luv to all

jono
Le plus ca change le plus ca le meme chose ...

JaySmith

Postby JaySmith » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:44 am

jono...

There will ALWAYS be typos. First edition more than most books, but even third edition, with all the nice wurdz said about it, contains more than I'd like.

But since two copies are on the clearance table at my local comic shop right now, I wouldn't exactly consider it a get-rich-quick opportunity. Perhaps when I find my way into the newspaper for flipping out in a post office or something.

Jono

Postby Jono » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:53 am

Now don't be modest, Jay. I'm sure that someone of your talent and ingenuity will become (in) famous without resorting to anything so plebian and passe!

Hey! I still have my collectable button (read: the kids haven't absconded with it yet). That'll bring in the big bucks! 8)

JaySmith

Postby JaySmith » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:04 pm

Save that button! It's redeemable for a real copy of the book (third edition and up.) It sold pretty well at PhilCon and those guys are not media nerds...they be book snobs (and I mean that in the nicest context).

Jono

Postby Jono » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:17 pm

But I want my button!

Tell you what: when we finally meet, how 'bout I just give you filthy lucre instead. :)

JaySmith

Postby JaySmith » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:55 pm

Hell, I'll just send you another button. And a book once the new shipment arrives.

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:12 am

Department of Sunspots:

>Finder and Jay, while incredibly prolific for the past two days, are spikes in a sunspot cycle. If the past 6 months or so of Webderland posting is any indicator, they'll both disappear back into the yellow wallpaper in another day or two.<

Today: March 27

JaySmith posting frenzy: March 19 through March 22
FinderDoug posting frenzy: March 20 through March 21

And then there was silence.

Return to “General”