Illegal Annoyances

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

lonegungirl

Illegal Annoyances

Postby lonegungirl » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:22 pm

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ratcliffe/?p=28

An interesting column--if you can drag $50,000 out of an annoying troll, HE certainly has the fodder for it.

NathanP

Postby NathanP » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:11 am

Fining trolls ain't going to work, as you would have to be able to find them in the real world first. And in anonymous chat rooms and blogs, that's pretty much impossible.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:08 pm

Actually, Nathan, it isn't impossible. In fact, it's been done here on more than one occasion.

A lot of what you (I'm using the universal 'you' here) do on the net is traceable.

Which can be a comfort, and give one pause at the same time.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Duane

Postby Duane » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:16 pm

Here's one: Man Sues Chatroom Pals.

I especially loved the chat room's name: Romance For Older Men.

:roll:

Hathor

Postby Hathor » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:52 pm

Sometimes people never cease to amaze me.

Then again, I'm off on the other end of the spectrum, where I'm willing to meet some of the people I've groused with, and it turns out if you saw them walking down the street, you probably have no idea that this is what's going on in their heads. They also imagine me differently, too.

As far as Romance with Older Men goes, i wonder just how many teen-age poptarts online who feel they're being daring or cute know they are actually whacking fodder for the Schizophrenic Emeritus at the library.

(ALSO people you'd never suspect who troll online "as a teen" just to see a perky empty-headed nymph in her underwear)

Where are your parameters for that? Is that fraud? Would you actually let your daughter post herself if she knew that's what people do?

And I haven't even got into those serial guys who peep under dresses with their cellphones....

Return to “General”