Greed Corner -- what do you REALLY want for Christmas?

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Eric Martin
Banned

Greed Corner -- what do you REALLY want for Christmas?

Postby Eric Martin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:33 pm

No holds barred, except it has to be buyable. Peace on earth, the troops all home, or a universal cure for cancer can't qualify. So aside from the usual neckties, hardcovers, and golf accessories, what do you REALLY want for Christmas (or Chanukah, or Pagan Indulgence Day, or whatever)?

I'll take forty acres and a mule. Preferably up north somewhere, althought the mule might need to be swapped out for a good gun dog.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:09 am

Lot's of HMV coupons, a backup band, and a harem of screaming groupies.

rich

Postby rich » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:10 am

The complete Calvin and Hobbes collection, and the Fox Studios Classic Collection from amazon.com.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:44 am

A trip to Libya in March 2006 for the total eclipse.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

cookie

Postby cookie » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:39 pm

Jewelry (though real and real-expensive is nice, I'll happily accept costume and cheap. In fact, cheap is probably best because I lose the shit, man!)

a drum set (I tell people it's for my kid, but really, in the end, it's for me)

a JBL or Mackie powered speaker with at least two channels

a sewing machine

a new car (new or new to us. I just want another one).

New speakers for my old car

...oh, yeah. And peace on Earth---especially at home.

cookie

Postby cookie » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:42 pm

...oh wait. That last one doesn't count. Though I imagine there are those who can buy a modicum of peace through generosity to their potential enemies.

Isn't that what the annual exchange of goods at the Winter Solstice *really* means, Charlie Brown?????????????

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:52 pm

The news that my roommate's mom just found a condo. That will mark the day when my roommate moves out and an important change and relief in MY life. THAT'S all I want to find under my tree this year.

DVG

Postby DVG » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:22 pm

I'm not much of a Christmas gifts sort of person. I sleep on a quilted mat and use Japanese dishes; I have a nice-sized apartment but I like a sense of space too much to want too many things. I think if a man owns three decent suits and a good pair of shoes, shirts & enough such sundries and a way to manage his thoughts (be that via computer or longhand in a book) the rest is superfluous and a bit silly.

That said, I wouldn't turn down a pair of 18th-century spooled ivory candlesticks (French).

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:37 pm

My general attitude is much like DVGs. Carole and I have not had a car in more than three years, a television set, DVD or VCR player in about five months. We don't have a cell phone, either.

But, if you want to know my ultimate wish list, it might look like this:

1. A coal-black three-piece suit
2. The complete Oxford English Dictionary, full-size, all volumes
3. An old-fashioned cathedral-style jukebox stocked with my favorite 45s, from Sugarloaf's "Green-Eyed Lady" to the Flying Lizards "Money" (and see if you can scare up a copy of "Sit On My Face, Stevie Nicks")
4. A purple Borsalino
5. An orchid-grower's starter kit (if there is such a thing)
6. A walk-in aviary stocked with lovebirds and finches
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

DVG

Postby DVG » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:46 pm

I believe that there is a National Association of Orchid Fanciers based in New York, David. They would certainly be able to help with general information on the care of same. A friend of mine has a collection of orchids, and although I'm no more a plants person than a gifts person, I have to say it is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen (certain orchids are not potted but are stored in small hanging nets so that the roots don't develop decay--the result is an incredible display that looks like a zero-g environment).

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:28 pm

A house -- in good condition, modern wiring, bought and paid for. Nothing palatial, no McMansions, just roomy enough and solid.

That would be nice.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:04 pm

I want DemocracyNow to be mandatory in every home in America.

Every elite right wing creep in our media would have their mouths sewn shut, and their legs shackled together, for a loving stroll through the tides of scorching hellfire..

Every boy child born on Xmas will be named Noam.

Jon Stover
Banned

Postby Jon Stover » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:16 pm

Frank Church's real name. Not for vengeance or anything, just curiosity.

Cheers, Jon

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:39 pm

I'd like to travel until I'd seen all of the world I could stand.

Thanks in advance,
D.

NathanP

Postby NathanP » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:01 pm

I'd gladly accept the gift of travel. But not all over the world. All I want is a one month stay in Antarctica.

Return to “General”