Price Gouging?

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

rich

Price Gouging?

Postby rich » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:59 am

I'll post the full link:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/ ... 0538c.html

It's the local rag and it has some interesting things in regards to the price of gasoline. This is the kinda stuff that reporters can run with. It also helps that our AG is actually a hard nose for stuff like this.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:28 pm

Price gouging is the price you pay, if you continue to ache for a sick, twisted free market system.

Ceronomus

Postby Ceronomus » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:30 pm

Some people call it price gouging, others call it "supply and demand". The fact is that gasoline companies have the right to charge whatever they'd like so long as the market will pay it. Now, the real thing to look for is evidence of the oil companies working together to fix prices.

But the fact remains that this is a free market economy...

Like it or not.

rich

Postby rich » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:15 pm

Did you guys even read the article?

From the article, a quote from the NC Attorney General, Roy Cooper:

"Clearly in this case there had been some talk among retailers about the prices," Cooper said. "In fact, in this case, the retailer was told, 'You better get with the program.' I'm going to find out what 'the program' is and take action against anyone who's clearly involved."

It appears that there was some strong-arm tactics used against a retailer who refused to raise the gasoline prices at his store. He is obligated to raise the price a certain amount, but the distributor wanted him to raise it more. When he asked for the margin sheet, showing profit margins, the distributor padlocked his tanks.

At the very least, we've got some shady dealings in the oil business and it may not just be for this state.

Jon Stover
Banned

Postby Jon Stover » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:08 pm

The US is a rigorously free-market system? Bwahahahahahahaaha.

Mmm. Poisoned Kool Aid. So sweet. So mythic.

By the way, I would pay to see Adubisi fuck George Bush up the ass in some imaginary pay-per-view event, and I'm not all that big on the man-love. But Adubisi is what Bush deserves, followed by Schillinger.

Cheers, Jon

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:36 pm

Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if the concept of money itself was wiped from the face of the Earth and we went back to just trading cows. I mean, sure, it isn't the most attractive prospect in the world - you've got to take the good with the bad. But just how influential and far-reaching would some of the scumbags of the planet be if the Big Green suddenly vanished?

ABikerSailor

Supply and Demand...

Postby ABikerSailor » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:35 pm

I will agree that a free market system is based on supply and demand. I'll even agree that the prices are an uneasy agreement between the seller and the buyer.

However......

When it comes to oil and the price of gasoline, well, that dog just won't hunt. Gas and oil are the ONLY products on the face of the earth (currently) where the price is set by the seller, and all increases are excuses to make more money.

Want proof? Look at the gas prices during the summer (when the kids are out of school). They rise shortly before Memorial Day and stay on a steady rise until after Labor Day. Then, the politicians (bless their greedy little hearts for not having the brains to cover this up properly), after their pockets have been sufficently lined by the oil companies, announce that they've done some type of deal to make the prices drop, thereby ensuring an enduring legacy of greed and graft for all the freshmen Congressmen to follow. Want even more proof? Look at what the oil prices did just before and just after the hurricane.

Greed and avarice....what a combo!

Impeach Bush!

Rob Murphy (abikersailor@cox.net)
Amarillo TX

P.A. Berman
Banned

Postby P.A. Berman » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:53 pm

Ben Basset wrote:Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if the concept of money itself was wiped from the face of the Earth and we went back to just trading cows. I mean, sure, it isn't the most attractive prospect in the world - you've got to take the good with the bad. But just how influential and far-reaching would some of the scumbags of the planet be if the Big Green suddenly vanished?

Money is not the root of all evil, Frank. It's just a symbol for goods and services, which are necessary in a society where jobs are highly specialized and mostly in the service sector. Personally, I don't want to trade cows. I don't want to work the farm. If you do, hey, it's not too late for that...get going.

No, it's LOVE OF MONEY that is the root of all evil. Avarice happens in barter economies too, Frank. Getting rid of money is not only impossible because money is necessary, it's impossible because it's not really the problem. Human nature is. What're you gonna do about THAT?

Forget I asked,
PAB
I don't know. I don't care. And it doesn't matter anyway. ~Jack Kerouac

ABikerSailor

Money as the root of all Evil

Postby ABikerSailor » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:15 am

I'm sorry people, but I don't think that I can go along with the idea of money being the root of all evil. If a person really looks into it, a piece of paper can NEVER be more valuable than say, a home.

I'm not sure if it's a love of money or not, but, as far as I'm concerned, money is just a tool invented to make life easier (carrying around a 10 dollar bill is a lot simpler than packing around 10 cows). Unfortunately, there are a lot of tools out there that we've invented that are being used either (a) for a purpose they were never intended, or (b) people take the purpose much farther than it was intended. Take dynamite and the Nobel Peace Prize for example. The Peace Prize was created by Nobel (who invented dynamite), so that we wouln't blow each other off the face of the planet. Guns and automobiles are tools also. I CAN see the purpose of a handgun and a nice convertible to drive around (protection of the car), but a fully automatic rifle and a tank don't belong in my neighborhood.

It's amazing how confused people can get over some things.

Rob Murphy (abikersailor@cox.net)
Amarillo TX

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:43 am

Perhaps someone should cut and paste John Galt's 60 page long speech.

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:44 am

If PA Berman is a kitty, is Frank a Basset hound?

Sam Hall

Postby Sam Hall » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:33 am

Duane wrote:If PA Berman is a kitty, is Frank a Basset hound?

No, if PAB is a kitty and Ben Bassett is a hound, then is Duane a perverted cartoon? That is the REAL question.

Alll-riiiight,
Sam Hall
My name it is Sam Hall,
Well, damn your eyes!

Return to “General”