False 'net Personas?

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Sam Hall

Postby Sam Hall » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:25 am

Hathor wrote:Sam Hall:
Well, much like real life, net forums tend to lend themselves to a couple of types that pretty much turn EVERYTHING into a sounding board.

How is that bullying? Everyone sounds off sometimes, and since Harlan Ellison is the icon of this place, you'd think that would be expected here.

You could be on a tatting board talking about doilies and somehow the sbuject will ultimately turn to the War in Iraq, or something......I'm burning out. AGAIN :?

Discussing the war in Iraq doesn't equate with bullying to me either. Where is the line between being an argumentative dude like Harlan Ellison to being a bully? In reading the back pages of this board, it seems that EVERYONE without exception has been nasty to someone else, if they been here long enough. Nature o' the beast and whatnot. And isn't it easier to be a bully when you have a "false net persona" than it is when your real name is out there for everyone to point to?

would it piss someone off knowing there's a better stronger thinker out there flipping burgers an somehow that a cause for envy?

It would fill me with pity, because that's a person who is most likely frustrated, understimulated, and miserable. But it might piss someone off if that person were intellectually arrogant or something. Why, do you flip burgers but are hiding some deep genius?

Would it help any if you imagine my voice as either a mumbling monotone when you read my posts, o with a Tommy Chong lilt..............

I don't know how anyone can really "know" someone just from reading a message board. If you had an indepth convo off the board for a while, maybe then, but just from a UseNet type situation? Prolly not.

Sam Hall
My name it is Sam Hall,
Well, damn your eyes!

Hathor

Postby Hathor » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:33 pm

Sam Hall:
????????
Okay, now you've lost me.
(that, and HAVING flipped a few BURGERS in my time has made me extremely adept at taking on irate Dominicans in closed spaces THANK YOU :twisted: )
"genius" is for the most part subjective at best, given if the outcome does society any progress.

Meeting someone in, yes, the theoretical technicolor vomit uniform of a fast food worker does lend itself to some sort of pity, ridicule, and general pathos, but that in of itself wouldn't change if somewhere on the nametag was proof of a 1550 SAT score by the worker.

Now I'm wondering if you thought you were ever too good for job........

Sam Hall

Postby Sam Hall » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:16 pm

Hathor wrote:Sam Hall:
????????
Okay, now you've lost me.

That makes two of us. You lost me too.

(that, and HAVING flipped a few BURGERS in my time has made me extremely adept at taking on irate Dominicans in closed spaces THANK YOU :twisted: )

Are you calling me an irate Dominican? :lol:

"genius" is for the most part subjective at best, given if the outcome does society any progress.

I truly disagree that the measure of genius is societal value. I'm surprised to hear that you think so. That gives society more credit than it should have, but that could be just me.

Meeting someone in, yes, the theoretical technicolor vomit uniform of a fast food worker does lend itself to some sort of pity, ridicule, and general pathos, but that in of itself wouldn't change if somewhere on the nametag was proof of a 1550 SAT score by the worker.

I would not ridicule someone who was making me food. That's not the same as pity or pathos. It would most certainly change my feelings towards the person, not to see their damn SAT score, but to see that a scintillating intellect was flipping burgers. And it would make me sad, but I'd also have to wonder why this person was in that situation.

Now I'm wondering if you thought you were ever too good for job........

HELL YES. Hasn't everyone?

Sam Hall
My name it is Sam Hall,

Well, damn your eyes!

Hathor

Postby Hathor » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:57 pm

Sam Hall:

Seeing as how it took you all night to think of a response, and you HAVE put a grin on my face(Knock it off. The LAST thing i need is ENCOURAGEMENT :twisted:) your idealism will get a pass. FOR NOW.

For future reference, My profile is mostly accurate, and my feelings on this have already been posted.

Please stop cutting adn pasting every damn thing I wirte. People ALREADY drop words to take stuff out of context and it's redundant.

Sam Hall

Postby Sam Hall » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:29 pm

Hathor wrote:Seeing as how it took you all night to think of a response,

Uuuuh, what do you think, I log in here every day, just WAITING for a response? I barely have time for this much. I don't even know how I got sucked into posting here. I just heard about the renowned chain-puller Harlan Ellison having this very active website and couldn't hardly believe it. I do have other things to do than hang on your every word, cupcake. :D

nd you HAVE put a grin on my face(Knock it off. The LAST thing i need is ENCOURAGEMENT :twisted:) your idealism will get a pass. FOR NOW.

I'm glad I made ya grin. Oooooo, are you gonna disabuse me of my youthful naivete? I look forward to your attempts. I do think success in this world has a lot to do with your attitude towards it, and though no one in my family graduated college but me, none of us has ever flipped a burger. Howsabout THAT for idealism?

For future reference, My profile is mostly accurate, and my feelings on this have already been posted.

I don't mean to be mean, but I can't hardly understand your profile. What is it that you do for a living right now? If you don't mind me asking.

Please stop cutting adn pasting every damn thing I wirte. People ALREADY drop words to take stuff out of context and it's redundant.

I don't drop words and take stuff out of context. I like people to KNOW what I'm replying to. To be clear. CLARITY. You know. So that people can understand what I'm saying. It's a worthwhile concept to at least consider, Hathor, to ease the flow of communication. :twisted:

Sam Hall
My name it is Sam Hall,

Well, damn your eyes!

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:59 pm

Sam Hall

Postby Sam Hall » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:45 pm

Duane, your post took more effort to create and send up than all of mine put together.

You care. Admit it. Or shut up and read a different thread, eh?

Geegity geegity,
Sam Hall
My name it is Sam Hall,

Well, damn your eyes!

Hathor

Postby Hathor » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:21 pm

SAM HALL:

If you really want your youthful naivete diminished, please find someone else here. I fact, I may recommend a couple of people if my mood gets any fouler. Then again, to keep with the flow of communication I'm getting with you, what I do for a living DOES NOT MATTER.

IT'S DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS, and as such, the job is NOT our identity. In fact, it's one of those odd things I was taught as an odd child that the whole "identity" ritual means MUCH MORE to men because it's all they have at times, SO DON'T PUSH THERE. (Oh, the opportunies and the missed cheap shots I regret....... :wink: )

The need for clarity is like that Hell's Angel's saying that those who know don't talk, and those who talk don't know. Like when speaking about "visible" jobs.......

Why are you still ASSUMING (HA! I WIN!) a "theoretical" genuis who flips burgers will be doing that FOREVER??

Sam Hall

Postby Sam Hall » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:36 pm

Hathor wrote: what I do for a living DOES NOT MATTER.

That just means you don't want to tell me. I have to wonder why.

the job is NOT our identity. In fact, it's one of those odd things I was taught as an odd child that the whole "identity" ritual means MUCH MORE to men because it's all they have at times, SO DON'T PUSH THERE. (Oh, the opportunies and the missed cheap shots I regret....... :wink: )

What in the hell are you on about? If you have a job you love, that makes you feel good, then it would be part of your identity. Only when you hate your job or feel degraded by it do you want to deny it's part of you. You must really have a crappy job if you're willing to make this about gender identity and my masculine ego or something.

The need for clarity is like that Hell's Angel's saying that those who know don't talk, and those who talk don't know.

That's a Buddhist saying, actually. "Those who know do not talk, and talkers do not know." That means that you're as ignorant as I am, though, since you're talking as much.

Why are you still ASSUMING (HA! I WIN!) a "theoretical" genuis who flips burgers will be doing that FOREVER??

For the same reason you are ASSUMING (HA! YOU LOSE!) that I am a man...

Sam Hall
My name it is Sam Hall,

Well, damn your eyes!

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:09 pm

Hathor,

You may wanna pull out the whole dish set for this, but I agree with Sam Hall's entire post.

Could it be because Hall is actually a Samantha?

Well, anyway - at the risk of a lame semantics war, to simplify the argument, consider HARLAN'S work. He writes. That's his job. Wouldn't you say that is HIM? I mean his calling is the very exension of his being. THAT'S his identity.

Now, the job I have at the moment I disconnect myself from completely. It has nothing to do with who I am. ONCE I even get CLOSE to the work of my life's dream...I can assure you it will be an extension of ME. That will make it part of my identity.

Tell me when to duck. I already got from another girl YESTERDAY, and she didn't warn me when it was coming.

rich

Postby rich » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:58 am

robochrist wrote:ONCE I even get CLOSE to the work of my life's dream...

What happens when that doesn't happen? (Disclaimer: This is not a question directed at Rob per se, just throwing it out there.)

I mean, for the vast majority of people this never happens. Sure we strike a balance and tolerate our jobs. We understand at an early age that the things we WANT require money so we do things that may not necessarily reflect us as individuals, but how many of us can honestly say that what we're doing right now is what we'd dreamed we'd be doing?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:17 pm

This is why anarchism is such a great system. You can work at the job that gives you meaning, not slave at a low paying shithole that makes you want to take hostages.

Sam Hall

Postby Sam Hall » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:48 pm

FrankChurch wrote:This is why anarchism is such a great system.

Mr. Church, how does the irony quotient of the above sentence not just kill you dead where you sit?

Sam Hall
My name it is Sam Hall,

Well, damn your eyes!

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:59 pm

FrankChurch wrote:This is why anarchism is such a great system. You can work at the job that gives you meaning, not slave at a low paying shithole that makes you want to take hostages.

The trouble is, sitting here pulling my wang gives me meaning, but it doesn't put food on the table.

ANd no, I'm not interested in putting food on the table that way.

Hathor

Postby Hathor » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:34 pm

SAM HALL:

I don't think Geraldo Rivera is much of a writer, journalist or a man, either, Sam. But in any case, it WOULD leave a stink if I met him and smacked him. In any context, disguise, and forum.

Return to “General”