False 'net Personas?

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Ben

False 'net Personas?

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:55 pm

In every interent forum, we all convey a certain visual picture of ourselves via the tone and personality of our body of posts. Sometimes that picture can have a degree of truth to it, but more often, it rings entirely false.

I'm worried that, over the years, I might have inadvertently created my own picture here which portrays me in a less-than-positive light. Have I given a certain negative impression of the kind of person I am? And if I have, does anyone else here feel as if they might suffer from a similar dilemma?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:51 pm

Hey man don't sweat it, just as long as you don't get any of your fleas in my beard.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:31 am

>I'm worried that, over the years, I might have inadvertently created my own picture here which portrays me in a less-than-positive light.<

Hah! When it comes to pissing in the punch around here, you ain't even out of double-A yet, Basset. But to answer your question, from here in the majors, yeah, you have come off as a creep sometimes. Who hasn't? But more to the point, considering that this is a venue peopled with anonymous egos and trumped-up personas, why worry about it?

But you can take heart that you CAN worry about it. There are several people on this board who would never be able to consider such a notion about themselves, as offensive and hostile as they often are. We know who they are. They, sadly, don't.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:48 am

I did hear that Eric Martin is really Erica Martini--a south beach female impersonator. Gives great lap dances.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:01 pm

Stimulus, response.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:37 pm

Case, rested.

Victoria Silverwolf

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:04 am

I tend to think that I am nicer on the Internet than I am in real life. (I'm pretty nice in real life, too.) I'm also not as painfully shy as I am in real life.
Reality is a crutch for people who can't face up to science fiction.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:57 am

I've become progressively nicer on the 'net over the years.

But never as nice as I am in person.

Writing in public is at least partly for addressing "incorrect geometry," as Ignatius J. Reilly would say.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:52 am

In real life I tend to be much nicer but far more arrogant than I am online.

Hathor

Postby Hathor » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:20 pm

I figure anyone pointing at the screaming Yoko Ono Potato Sack(tm) and calling it a poltergeist deserves what they get. Friggin' bullies.........

Sam Hall

Postby Sam Hall » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:49 pm

Hathor wrote:I figure anyone pointing at the screaming Yoko Ono Potato Sack(tm) and calling it a poltergeist deserves what they get. Friggin' bullies.........

What does that mean? Who's a bully? Please explain.

Sam Hall
My name it is Sam Hall,
Well, damn your eyes!

akojen

Postby akojen » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:24 pm

I'm mostly who I am here. I don't think about whether I'm particularly nice or not, but I've wound up with offline friends who think I'm pretty neat. And I've got others online who feel the same way. Works for me.

Amy
"Now give me some inner peace or I'll mop the floor with ya!" -- Homer Simpson

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:07 am

Well, I like Amy, and not just because she taught me a lot about how to shop for cars, but because she knows that T O'Q ROCKS!

Ben Bassett wrote:I'm worried that, over the years, I might have inadvertently created my own picture here which portrays me in a less-than-positive light. Have I given a certain negative impression of the kind of person I am? And if I have, does anyone else here feel as if they might suffer from a similar dilemma?

Ben, you remind me a lot of myself when I was twenty-some years old. No shit. I, too, was oh-so-concerned about how the world at large saw me. My brother, please take this advice: Fuck that noise! What matters are the opinions of those you respect and admire. If you are conscientious and honest when you write--and if you make the effort to convey that clearly in your posts--then you have no need to worry about the interpretations of Webderlanders who haven't grokked your intent. Those of us who can see you for what you are won't give a rat's ass if they claim you are malicious or deluded or uninformed. Save your energy for the arguments that matter, and let the chips fall where they may.

D.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:43 am

We paint our own pictures as accurately as we choose. How the others react, and how much they choose to believe is really up to them.

Keeping in mind that behind every net persona there is a flesh and blood human being who can still react to words on screen.

Hathor

Postby Hathor » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:36 pm

Sam Hall:
Well, much like real life, net forums tend to lend themselves to a couple of types that pretty much turn EVERYTHING into a sounding board. You could be on a tatting board talking about doilies and somehow the sbuject will ultimately turn to the War in Iraq, or something......I'm burning out. AGAIN :?
As far as mental pictures go as to the purity of the word, does anyone really feel validated discrediting an uncomfortable idea if they knew the person writing it is perceived as a "social inferior" in the "physical" (?) world, or would it piss someone off knowing there's a better stronger thinker out there flipping burgers an somehow that a cause for envy?

Would it help any if you imagine my voice as either a mumbling monotone when you read my posts, o with a Tommy Chong lilt..............

Return to “General”