The Morbid Artist

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

akojen

Postby akojen » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:29 pm

BrianSiano wrote:Guess there aren't many Mark Rothko fans on this board.

So... any Philly people wanna do a trip to the Franklin and look at exquisite corpses?

If they're still there for December, Brian, absolutely. Human anatomy fascinates me. I'm one of those "morbid" people who'd love to attend an autopsy. We're interesting little fleshbags.

KRISTIN--Not sure about any of the other suggestions, but you can have your pet's ashes buried with you. No, not in the backyard. :)

Amy
"Now give me some inner peace or I'll mop the floor with ya!" -- Homer Simpson

JohnPacer

Postby JohnPacer » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:50 pm

Steve:
When I said what I did about talent I was speaking strictly in terms of craft. ANYone can learn to draw, just as anyone can learn to play the piano or write a coherent essay. (I realize there are conditions like being tone deaf or color blind or mentally handicapped which would prohibit this.) I think what you're referring to has to deal with genius, which I don't believe can be taught. I think anyone can learn to draw and paint. NOT anyone could be Leonardo da Vinci or Michelangelo. I think anyone can learn a musical instrument. NOT anyone could Mozart or Pavarotti.

And yes, conceptual art blows. Thankfully, it seems to be dying down, at least from what I've been seeing in galleries these days. Although I haven't seen any NYC galleries in several years.

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:19 pm

If the Body thing's at the Franklin, then great-- but it'd have to be when Philcon's over, cause I'm a gonna-be a busy boy that weekend.
"Everything... Everything... Everything gonna be all RIGHT this mornin'..."
-- Muddy Waters

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:39 am

JohnPacer wrote:Steve:
When I said what I did about talent I was speaking strictly in terms of craft.

That makes sense then. Though when I think about some of the folks I went to school with, I don't know. . .

ABikerSailor

Style, Craft or Art?

Postby ABikerSailor » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:08 pm

As far as talent versus work, I'd have to vote more on the side of work. Why? A long time ago when I was just a wee lad, a friend of mine told me "Rob, practice makes perfect is actually from an old Germanic saying, and literally translated, it says repeated action makes the master." How does that figure here? Simple, if there is something that I absolutely love to do and feel a great deal of passion for, I'll keep doing it, and consequently get better at it. Best example that I can think of is martial arts.

But the really cool thing about people like Da Vinci is that their interests are many and varied, and their passion and zeal for them is just as great. So, consequently, they become masters of more than just one thing and they get to be called genius. Even better? The fact that no two of us human types are exactly alike, so the variety will never die down.

Does the human body interest me? Greatly....I've got only one and I'd like to make it last as long as possible. Is that morbid? Depends on your point of view...I grew up in a very rural area, and there were quite a few times that if we didn't kill it ourselves, we didn't eat. Some people consider the killing of animals "morbid", yet they think nothing of wolfing down a couple of burgers.

The human body as art? Sure! There's an exhibit running all over the U.S. that shows bodies looking like anatomy dummies but they're real. Don't forget people, Da Vinci turned out the greatest anatomy study that was unequaled until around the late 1980's.

Rob Murphy (abikersailor@cox.net)
Amarillo TX

franklin

Postby franklin » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:31 pm

It's hard to differentiate between Horror and Science Fiction. The word HORROR just makes some people nervous. And horror is an emotion and science fiction is not. What is H.G. Well's, War of the Worlds for example? The Martians are more like vampires. Or the film Alien? (which is also about the body).

The difference between science and art is that if somebody reputed to be a great artist does something that offends you personally this will change your whole perception of his art. While a scientists discoveries remain unaffected.
To offer an alternative to life in all it's forms constitutes a permanent opposition, a permanent recourse to life - this is the poets highest mission on this earth.

Michel Houellebecq

rich

Postby rich » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:03 am

franklin wrote:While a scientists discoveries remain unaffected.

I don't know about that. I guess one could argue that a scientist doesn't seek or consciously try to offend or please anyone. But, the end result has just as much an impact, possibly more so in some instances, than so-called Art. (Not denigrating Art, I hear he's a lovely man, but just saying is all.)

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:48 pm

franklin wrote:What is H.G. Well's, War of the Worlds for example? The Martians are more like vampires. .

Maybe vampires are native of Mars. Wells describes their anatomy in detal and offers up a perfectly plausible scientific explanation of why those organisms behave the way they do. There is no supersticious or supernatural content at all. And I think Well's intention was to speculate on what such an organism might mean for man, and to criticize man along the way, rather than to just horrify. Though the idea itself is still horrifying. So you're right, I think there's alot of crossover.

Return to “General”