Parochialism

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

franklin

Parochialism

Postby franklin » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:24 pm

I don't want to quibble with the hirsute plumbers in their complaints about stories that deal with alligators in the sewers but I've noticed more then a few negative asides about Japan in Ellison's varied writings. This is very geocentric and not something one would expect from a man with as expansive a mind as Ellison has shown himself to have. I recommend professor Donald Keene's four volume "History of Japanese Literature" to alleviate the cultural myopia that Harlan Ellison is suffering from in respects to Japan. Senior intellectuals whom Ellison has been fortunate enough to know, Carl Sagan, Isaac Asimov among others would never have made such bumpkinish remarks. One other thing, the rings of the planet Saturn are a fascinating area of scientific research and Harlan's geocentric dismissal of them as "rocks" is uncharacteristically parochial in outlook. Thank you.

Here's a partially unpublished interview with Dr. Carl Sagan. For those who haven't read it yet.

http://www.csicop.org/si/2005-07/sagan.html
To offer an alternative to life in all it's forms constitutes a permanent opposition, a permanent recourse to life - this is the poets highest mission on this earth.

Michel Houellebecq

David W. Pareis

Postby David W. Pareis » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:19 pm

examples please

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:43 am

Evidently you haven't read Ellison's essay about Saturn's rings as it appeared in "An Edge In My Voice," Future Life magazine #25, March 1981 -- reprinted in _Stalking the Nightmare_ and the _An Edge in My Voice_ collection.

If anything, Ellison goes overboard in precisely the opposite direction.

It's dangerous to sum up a man's work on the basis of one passing remark, especially a man often given to flippant wisecracks.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:32 am

I don't know about Japan, but Harlan is a bit goofy on his stance against visiting Israel or Germany.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:37 pm

Why Israel? Besides the obvious reasons?

Return to “General”