Journey To Mars With Ezra

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

robochrist

Journey To Mars With Ezra

Postby robochrist » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:02 pm

Ezra, in the Pavilion: "The idea that we can corrupt and despoil this beautiful planet and fly away to some New Jerusalem in the Milky Way saddens and sickens me."

Ironically, flying away to some "New Jerusalem" in the Milky Way (which, if ever possible, would probably be thousands of years from now) is the only way we will save the Earth, and restore so much of what we'd taken over the centuries, AND save our own hides.

You may not LIKE the idea. But there ARE no other alternatives. WE - not merely unmanned probes - must and will venture FORTH.

They did it on the seas in the 15th century, and we will most likely be doing the same in space a century from now.

The inevitable.

ReverendTed

Postby ReverendTed » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:07 am

Perhaps I misunderstand your position, but using the 15th century analogy would appear to clash with "restoring what we've taken" - as the outcomes of those travels o'er the seas were not migrations, but expansions.

Or are you suggesting that the system will restore itself, and for our own sake we'd damn well better be off this rock before she decides it's time for a purge?

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:49 am

ReverendTed,

Try ALL those bases. Why was THAT such quandary?

Capitalism is inherently expansionist; so is government. Both will serve as instruments for space exploration, however unsettling that might sound. By virtue of human nature we are expansionist. Except for the scale of damage we've wrought, I suspect many of the patterns we saw in our ancestors will show themselves as we venture further out.

Now, you tell me when human beings HAVEN'T worked at odds. It's the thing that makes us so fucking dangerous. I mean we can resolve to clean up a mess we created, then turn around and exploit the very resources we used to accomplish it.

Resolving the environmental issues, replenishing the Earht, I would imagine, will take priority between now and 100 years (I mean, if we don't, I'd have to go along with DAVID'S dire prediction; if the scene is still run by slime like Dick Cheney and Tom DeLay, forget it); but generations WAY down the line will be confronted more directly with the population issue. Don't you think, with the exponential growth of our populations over the centuries, we'll most likely be facing only one desperate option? Urgencies we face within the next 100 years will be different from those we face 500 years from now.

I DO believe most our activities in space for a long time will be industrial. But over vast periods of time, civilizations branch off.

Whatever the case - with us - survival and Expansionism are not what I would call mutually exclusive.

Somehow, I sense you could have figured out all this yourself.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:58 am

Ezra is more a Venus type, those pink underwear and his poster of Britney spears on the wall and all.

Hathor

Postby Hathor » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:34 pm

:D Ezra is the Saturn type. Awwwaaay from everybody else with rings around himself........ :lol:

I'm the Mercury type :D My hots are too hot, my colds are too cold, and no matter what i try to do somehow the possiblity of ending up with around 90 days if I don't watch out becomes a factor........ :wink:

ReverendTed

Postby ReverendTed » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:35 pm

robochrist wrote:Try ALL those bases. Why was THAT such quandary?
[ ... ]
Somehow, I sense you could have figured out all this yourself.
I appreciate the discussion contained between these quotes, but what made these necessary? Pride? Resentment? Ego? Exhasperation?

akojen

Postby akojen » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:03 pm

All of the above, Ted. It's ROB.
"Now give me some inner peace or I'll mop the floor with ya!" -- Homer Simpson

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:31 pm

Ted,

Well, it's not like I needed Akojen's help in answering that. I mean I'm glad she doesn't represent me in a courtroom.

Return to “General”